Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Lies for Surprise

Ryan's mom is about to turn the big 6-0, and last summer, her kiddos got together to plan a surprise birthday party for her. They wanted it to reflect the things and people she loved, and they wanted her to be completely shocked. Those were the two goals. Of course, no one really stopped to think about the four-year-old roaming around the room while we did all this planning...and suddenly the whole surprise element felt a bit shaky.

From July to December, we were a whole crowd of Sneaky McSneakersons. We ferreted addresses from her friends, I scoured her Facebook page and stole pictures to print out, and her other daughter-in-law "helped herself" to random bits of decor every time she went over.

The party was scheduled for a Sunday afternoon and the decor-thief told Nita that she needed her to come to their church at 2:00 p.m. to take some family pictures by the church tree. {Lie.} She also told her there was a last-minute wedding shower taking place at the church that afternoon for someone who had just gotten engaged and was getting married soon. {Lie.}

Ryan and I invited Allen and Nita out for lunch and told them TWO HOURS of prattling stories to try to kill time. We embellished and talked over each other and "Hey did you tell them about THIS?" - all the while keeping one eye on the clock to make sure she got to the church promptly at 2. At 20 til 2, I jumped and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

"Sorry...I have to take this," I said about the fake phone call I was actually not receiving at that moment. I bolted into the lobby of the restaurant, paced around, made some faces, and rushed back in. Ryan asked if everything was okay. "It's mom," I lied. "She got that new coffee pot yesterday for that party where everyone from church is coming over. They're all about to arrive and something isn't working right on the coffee pot. It's too fancy and she can't figure it out - and heaven forbid she read the instructions." {New coffee pot = true. Church party = happened the day before. Everything else = lie.}

I fished my coat out from behind Ryan and said, "I have to go right now. She's freaking out." {Lie.} He joined right in. "It's okay. I'll just ride to the church with Mom and Allen and you can come back and pick me up when you're done." {Married to a liar.}

With that, I shot out of the restaurant and hid my car among the "wedding shower" cars at the church, and perched in position to get Nita's expression when she arrived at the church.
 BAZINGA, BABY!!!!! I think we got her!! {She said she really had no clue. Of course, given that she's birthed a bunch of liars who married a bunch of liars, who knows if that's really true!!! Just kidding!!!}
It was an open house, so people came and went the entire time, but it was a JOY to see her so full of happiness at the crowd that happened to be gathered right when she got there.

Nita IS the family photographer - and you know she's good. She has taken all our pictures, from engagement to a good portion of our wedding day, to all our Christmas card photos. I was so nervous to fill her shoes for the day, but here are just a FEW of the pictures I got of her party. {And she said she liked them...whew!}

My sister-in-law, Megan, made all the cakes for the day. They were SO GOOD. 
 The table of items stolen from her home. Funniest part? She didn't know any of them were gone! HA!!
 The "guest book" - a set of cards for people to write wishes and memories...and then a little tree to hang them on.
 The wall of pictures - a representation of people and things she loves!
Ryan is not the only ham in his family. This is his cousin, Danny, who is HILARIOUS. And also - eager to be in my photo. HA!
 More decorations...this one cracked me up! The picture is of Nita with her brother, John, who is so funny. Always makes me laugh! Come to think of it - is there ANYONE in this family who isn't a ham?
 Ryan has SO MANY RELATIVES. Took me forever to learn all their names. Uncle Jay on the left and Uncle David on the right. Two sweet guys who have adopted me right in as a niece. I appreciate them both!
 Ryan's grandpa. Love this man. I've known him since I was a kid, and he and my dad have been really good friends for years. He's spunky, he's kind, he's funny, he's a prayer warrior, and in this season of life in which I no longer have living grandparents on my side of the family, I love having him for a grandpa! And Ryan loves him so much. They're a hoot together.
 Nita and Ryan's cousin, Kevin, looking at the wall of photos. {I think she liked them. Not a lie.}
 This lovely photo of Nita and her sister, Aunt Ruthie Woo Hoo...and then...who might that be??? {Side note...her real name is just Aunt Ruthie. Ryan and I added the Woo Hoo. If you've not heard that story...back when Ryan and I were dating, Nita posted a picture of Ryan on Facebook. He was at the lake and shirtless - and HOT - and Aunt Ruthie commented "WOO HOO, Ryan!!" I didn't know who she was yet, so I sent him this text that said, "WHO is this Ruthie person, and why is she woo hooing your picture??" He CRACKED up and I eventually confessed that story to Aunt Ruthie, who loved it to death. And she has forever become our Aunt Ruthie Woo Hoo.}
 I love this picture of Nita and her dad. He told me he was going to charge me ten bucks to take that picture and I couldn't post it "on that Facebook thing." Well, he never mentioned the blog. HA!!! And I told him no deal on the ten bucks OR the absent from Facebook thing.
 Sneaking out from behind the camera for one picture.
 My parents came, too!!
 Nita and Ryan's sister, Bre. She spearheaded this event and did a great job!
Nita and Allen at the end of a very successful party.
So I'm pretty sure most of us are STILL repenting from the lies we told {and the things we stole} but my GOODNESS was the surprise ever a success!

Happy birthday, Nita! We love you! {Enough to lie to you. On Sunday. In a church.}

4 comments:

Mark Allman said...

Happy Birthday Nita!

Enyoyed the Woo Hoo story.

Nita said...

My dearest Bekah!! I was genuinely surprised......NO SHOCKED actually!! If I had questioned anything I would have at least put on some lipstick and freshened my blush for pity sakes!!! It was a great day and I am confident the Lord was winking at all your lies and deception!! I am confident He knew it was deception in it's purest form. Thank you all once again!! I am truly blessed by my children.....which includes you and Megan!! Loved the blog post!! :)

Bekah said...

Mark - It's one of my fave stories!

Nita - Yeah we probably should have prepped you to re-lipstick!!! Our one missed detail! Thanks for forgiving us for lying. :) Can't promise to never do it again - after all, there will be more birthdays!! :)

Natasha said...

I love how much trouble you all went to. This is such a great recipe as to how to throw a really good surprise party :)