Today's advice is coming to you from...the girl who still moves like a 110-year-old, after switching up her workouts a lot recently. So read and apply at your own discretion. Ha!!
In full disclosure, I didn't grow up "working out." Part of it was that we just weren't a working-out sort of family, and part of it was that it wasn't quite the thing back then that it is now. But when I hit my mid-to-late twenties and realized it was going to need to become a regular reality for me, I was somewhat paralyzed with fear because I didn't know how to actually go about doing it. I remember going to the IWU gym and having no earthly idea how to use any of the equipment. It was awful, because all the college students knew what they were doing and it was (I'm sure) annoying for them to have out-of-shape adults stumbling around them, clueless and struggling to use the equipment they needed to use too.
I've learned a lot in the last decade or so, some from trial and error, and other things from actual training. One of the biggest things I've learned is that if I don't freshen up this part of my life, I become bored and/or discouraged.
Since we're four months into new year's resolutions, perhaps you have tasted similar bits of boredom and/or discouragement, so I'll throw out some suggestions I've learned along the way, and you can take or leave the thoughts. (Adapt them to fit your needs!)
1. Switch it up!
In my early days of working out, I tended to do the same thing every single day. If I found something I could actually do, I would hang onto it for dear life, because I had no idea if I'd ever find anything else that worked for me. When I started using the Beachbody workout regiments three years ago, I learned two important truths about my workout needs. First, I needed to move differently every single day. The first workout program of theirs I used was the 21 Day Fix, and every single day's exercises were different. Leg day, arm day, cardio, Pilates, etc. I learned that "shocking" my body like that actually brought about results. I also learned that after a few rounds of that same sequence of workouts, I needed to switch up the entire workout itself. I went through a total of 3 Beachbody programs, and I've gone back to each of them more than once, because I need to continue to switch up what I do. Even when I'm not on one of those programs (like now) I try to do different sorts of workouts every day. (Fun fact: Dashing Dish has a lot of workouts, and many are free to anyone, even if you're not a member. You can print them and go!)
2. Trendy doesn't mean mandatory.
And running is the trend of the day, isn't it? I'd never "been a runner" until the summer before I got married, and one of my work buddies talked me into running a 10K. I did a whole training program, ran that race, and was proud of myself for it, but I really, really, really don't love running. I know for many people, discovering the world of running has been life-changing and freeing, but it frustrates me. I do it, as one of my exercise options, but I don't love it. You know what I do love? Walking. A better-than-brisk walk makes my entire day. And sometimes I am sad that running is the trendy thing, because I wish walking would get the same kind of attention and respect. But what I've learned most of all is that just because something is really trendy doesn't mean it's what you have to do. If you don't love running, don't run! If you do love walking, walk! I do think there's a lot of truth in the saying that you'll stick with what you love. So you may not be doing the coolest workout in the world, but if you love it, you should absolutely do it.
3. Go to the gym...or (maybe) go home!
As I said at the beginning, I was so nervous and intimidated by the gym back in my single days, that I found working out at home to be much more palatable. I could look ridiculous and crazy with only Braeya for an audience. A couple of summers ago, Ryan talked me into trying a gym again, and I was nervous, but I did it. And I didn't like it. It was still as scary (for me) as it had been in the olden days. So I came back home. I work out here or with some of Ryan's co-workers at the hospital gym. Those are my safe spaces where I don't feel judged or criticized. Ryan loves the gym. He loves the accountability, the big equipment, and the push to try new things. So he goes to the gym and I go home. We each get our most productive environment, and it works for us. But it's good, I think, to at least try a new environment now and then to see if maybe your tastes have changed and what used to not work for you...does now!
4. Get a new outfit.
It may sound silly, but it's valid. Sometimes when I lose my zeal for working out, a new tank top or pair of shorts might be just what I need to get back into it. It's inspiring for me. A couple of years ago, my sister sent me a new tank top, and I loved running in it. It's still one of my favorite workout shirts. Even if you work out at home and no one sees you, you'll see you, and you'll feel cuter in your new clothes. (Side note: when I lost a decent amount of weight, I also sprang for new clothes that fit better, because it made me feel like I had accomplished something with all my hard work. Swimming in my old big shirts did nothing for my confidence level.)
5. Find a friend.
If you're in a slump, see if you can find a friend to work out with you! In those scary IWU gym days, I had a co-worker that often went to the gym with me. She was adorable, fit, and not the least bit intimidated by the gym equipment. But she was kind to me in my inadequacies, and it made all the difference for me. When I started the Beachbody stuff a few years ago, Ryan worked out with me, because it helped me stick with it. I had a friend who started using an interactive app, and her virtual buddies kept her inspired to work out. Friends can help!!
4 hours ago

3 comments:
Such great tips!! I love BB videos and use them in conjunction with my running and other gym workouts!
I'm basic so running is perfect for me (that and my knees haven't given out...yet). Even within running, I can change things up- do tempo runs, increase mileage, etc. It's amazing what you can do when you push yourself, no matter what the activity. So grateful to be able to move!
Tamar - There are a few BB ones I'd still love to try!
Maria - Yes! I did that very thing this week using a Dashing Dish workout as my inspiration. I messed with inclines and speeds and had quite a workout, even though I didn't go as far or fast as I normally do.
Post a Comment