Sunday, January 01, 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Shafferland Shuffle

A couple of years ago, Ryan got me a flip calendar to keep on my desk at work, and in my post-work-outside-the-home life, it sits on my nightstand. The verse for today, the first day of the new year, is the first part of 1 Corinthians 15:10 - But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me has not been in vain. 

I share that with you this morning, on this threshold of a new year, because I know it's easy to not feel satisfied with who you are. We all get caught up with comparison games and feeling like we aren't as welcomed or loved or successful or meaningful as others, but the words of this verse are TRUE. It is by His grace alone that each of us are the people we are and are living the lives we're living.

I share the Shuffle with you each week as a means of letting you peek into the sometimes crazy/sometimes fun/sometimes boring our life is each day, and also as a help to me in keeping track of the order of events for when I scrapbook. In no way do I ever want these shuffle posts to instill any feelings of inferiority in anyone else. It is by the grace of God alone that I am who I am, that Ryan is who he is, and that Shafferland is what it is. His grace to us is not in vain, and I want these posts to speak to that grace.

So as we embark on a new year and new journeys, here's a peek back at our final week of 2016.

* Last Sunday was Christmas Day, which you've already seen recapped in all its many pictures, but it was a beautiful and hard day all at once, with our little Shafferland celebration here at home, church, Christmas with my family and Christmas with one of Ryan's families. I think this is a Christmas we'll remember for many years to come.
* Monday, as you also saw this week, Ryan was fortunate to have a day off - something brand new for us at Christmas. We soaked up every moment of that day together, doing some after-Christmas shopping, having a fun Chinese buffet lunch, visiting with his other grandpa, watching a movie. We loved that day so much!
* Ryan had to go back to work on Tuesday, and Braeya and I soaked up the sun and the last of the Christmas decorations, because we knew that was a limited sight! My friend Jessica, who lives out of state, was home for Christmas, and she came by to see me, which was a great treat! And check out this really cool picture Ryan took: a reflection of Christmas, while looking ahead to next year!
* Wednesday, I took an all-day field trip to visit my friend Julie, who gave me an INCREDIBLE gift of helping me design a new website. My previous attempts were failing in a variety of ways, so her help was SUCH a gift. It was an all-day event, and when I came home, I enjoyed the last night of Christmas lights on old Grizzy - because his bottom branches were grazing the ground. :(

* Thursday, I took down all the Christmas decorations, which is always a sad and exciting time. Sad to see the season go, and sad to see all the hard work boxed back up, but exciting to think of new beginnings! Also exciting: making new labels for all my storage tubs!!

* Friday, Ryan "worked hard" at work, taking down the Christmas decorations and turning himself into a living Christmas tree, apparently. I was invited to a special lunch, which boasted DELICIOUS food, and I had a great time! And that night - Braeya decided to hang out with me for once, which is RARE. We read blogs together.
* And yesterday we made the TERRIBLE mistake of going to the store in the middle of the afternoon. Thought I might spend the next thirteen Christmases in line waiting to check out. But the day quickly redeemed itself when we went to spend the evening with our friends Mike and Angie. We were supposed to visit them over last weekend and it didn't work out, so we rescheduled and had the best time hanging out, eating their amazing cooking and playing fun virtual reality games before ringing in the new year together!
And with that, we wish you a very happy new year! :)



3 comments:

Maria Rineer said...

Happy New Year to you and Ryan. Love the little glimpses into you grace filled life that your blog provides.

Tamar SB said...

I love these posts! Such a fun look into your life! You should share them over at my Monday linky (:
Hope you had a great New Years and have an amazing year ahead.

Bekah said...

Maria - Happy new year to you as well! :)

Tamar - I will hop over and share! Happy new year to you! :)