Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Shafferland Shuffle

* Last Sunday, Ryan and I made the grand tour for graduation open houses. Tis the season! Our first stop was for the daughter of one of Ryan's co-workers, and look what made an appearance at her party!?!? One of our chalkboards! They really do pop up where you least expect them. After that, we stopped by the party for the daughter of good friends from our old church. We enjoyed seeing old friends and celebrating!
* Well, you thought our home projects were done, didn't you? Nope. After moving Mommapalooza 3.0 inside unexpectedly on Mother's Day, we decided we needed a space to accommodate a group of that size when we entertain, so we're finishing off our garage to fit the bill. Monday, a crew came to blow some insulation into the walls, and that night we went to purchase the rolls of insulation to put over it. I felt my #shiplap shirt was an appropriate fit for such a trip. Oh! And I made coffee for the two of us at lunch and learned that this mug holds EXACTLY 1 large k-cup!
* Tuesday, I worked on some scrapbooking {trying to meet a sale deadline} and I had a little help on my project! That night, Ryan and I worked together to hang the insulation for the garage. My job was to measure and cut, and Ryan did all the stapling. Want to guess who messed up on her ONE JOB????
* Wednesday morning, I spoke to the senior adult group at a church, and they were very gracious and welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed that opportunity! I also got to have lunch/hang out with one of my blogonymous friends while I was in the area, and that was fun! It was a gorgeous day, and we had a great time together! That night, Ryan brought home a whole bunch of strawberries gifted to us by one of his patients, so we cleaned and froze a bunch of them!
* Thursday, I alternated between scrapbooking and doing home chores, including changing the sheets on our bed, made a bit more difficult by SOMEONE who thought this was a game! I watched a webinar for an event I'm helping with at church later this year, and that night, Ryan and I attempted a workout while utterly exhausted from a long week. The warning seemed especially meaningful that night!
* This weekend, we had so much fun right in our hometown, and I can't wait to tell you more about it, but we kicked it off Friday night with our first ever trip to watch the Kokomo Jackrabbits play baseball. Ryan won tickets to a game last fall when we ran that 5k race, and this was when it worked out for us to go. It was a blazing hot night, but we had SUCH FUN at that game. Full story coming soon!
* And yesterday, to round out the weekend-o-fun, we took our first trip to Kokomo Beach {which is - for those of you not from here - NOT a beach, but rather a pool/water park}. It was packed, because again, a blazing four million degrees in Indiana, but we had a great time. And we ended the day by taking in Rib Fest, which was Ryan's happy place. MEAT!


4 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh fun! Are you losing the garage completely?

I love how jacked the jacked rabbit mascot is - ha!

Paula Alexandra Santos said...

Hi Bekah!
I know this is another subject, but I read your post about contentment and know exactly how you felt. I felt the same way a few years ago.
Me and my husband have been married for almost 19 years (we married very young) and you and Ryan remember me of us. I have 38 and he has 40 and we love to spend time together and make the most of every minute.
A few years ago, my husband was diagnosed with kidney failure and about 4 years ago he started dialyis 3 times a week.
It was so hard for both of us. We felt so lonely, so angry and abandoned...
And at the same time, when he was on dialysis I read your blog.
Your dates with Ryan on Fridays, your weekends at the lake... And I cryed every time, because on Fridays my husband was at the dialysis and on the weekends, most of the times he was to week to go anywhere.
It was very hard... So I cried while I read your blog and other happy people blogs and felt so alone but God Is Good and last August, my husband received a new kidney and today, we go out on fridays and enjoy our weekends like we used to do before the health issues. And apreciate life together even more!
All of this to tell you that sometimes it's normal to feel jealous but it's important to apreciate every minute and everything we have because life is precious.
Sorry for the long "testament" but I hope this helped a bit!
:)
Paula from Portugal

Charity said...

The picture of the Webinar made me laugh because our church had a Video Announcement about it coming up in today's service!

Bekah said...

Tamar - Nope! We will still use it as a garage, but it was almost completely unfinished. Only half of it was insulated and drywalled, so we're having the rest of that done, and then we'll paint the drywall and do a paint treatment on the floor. We'll use it as a garage, but if we have a group over, it will be a place we can clear out and use comfortably for food and activities.

Paula - Your comment was so perfect! Thank you for sharing so vulnerably and reminding me that "imperfect" lives go far beyond work schedules. I am so sorry you missed so many fun weekend dates for health scares, but I am SO GRATEFUL your husband is healthy now! I have a dear friend - possibly the first friend I ever had back in story hour before Kindergarten - who has had two kidney transplants now. One when we were sixth graders and one just a few months ago. I have watched him battle those health issues and am so aware of how deeply the kidneys can affect life. I am extra grateful, having watched it up close, for the gift of organ donation that he and your husband have been blessed to receive!

Charity - no way! How fun!! I've not been part of it before, but I am looking forward to it