We just finished dog-sitting for our friends' Great Dane. I've been trying to convince Ryan for a while now that we need a dog in our lives. Of course Braeya would kill us if we actually followed through with this plan, but I still think we need a dog. Ryan likes dogs, but he has valid points about the amount of care that they need. It's hard to be pick-up-and-go people when you have a dog. Much easier with a self-sufficient cat.
But our friends needed a temporary home for Spencer, so we agreed to take him in. I'm guessing that if you're going to see how you fare with a dog, you should probably start with something smaller than a Great Dane. Just a guess.
Spencer's dad brought him over Sunday afternoon after church. He was pretty excited to have Ryan play fetch with him!
And then that just wears a body out!
Just to give you a point of reference on his exceptional size {he is two years old}:
He took naps by the fire...
...looked for his parents...
...and offered all kinds of love.
He took us on walks:
...and learned to pose for group selfies.
He played with his little toy {which I called his paci}...
...and helped me edit our podcast.
He applied to be my sous chef!
Somehow he folded himself into my little car for a trip to see Ryan and the new house!
I think he was voted most popular by Ryan's work crowd!!
{They really are there. Just not pictured.}Group car ride!!!
Originally we were supposed to keep him through yesterday, but after our first visit to the new house, we learned that it probably wasn't going to work to have him AND construction/painting/crazy messes. {Originally we were not aware we would have access to our new house this soon, so we didn't think having him would overlap with those responsibilities!} But because life really does take a village, our friend Jenna offered to keep him for me the last half of the time so I could focus on things at the new house. I was so grateful she stepped in to allow me that freedom! Even so, what fun we had with him for those couple of days!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:
Great Dane! Wowza!! I can't wait to get a dog, one day!
He's huge and adorable all at once. But what stands out the most to me is the big smiles on your faces whenever you're with him....seems to me like you may need one of your own! :) (A dog, that is, not necessarily a Great Dane!)
Fun post! I'm sure you made awesome substitute parents for Spencer! As for me, I'll take a little Yorkie, please and thank you!!
Tamar - well given what you've said about the size of your apartment, maybe you should skip a Great Dane unless you move to a bigger place. LOL!!!!!
Allison - YES!!!! I agree!!!!!
Shari - I think that may be more the size we need. LOL!!!!
That is one big dog! I'm glad you had fun taking care of him.
Post a Comment