Monday, August 10, 2015

Memory Lane, Trip 1

I was so glad to give you all a good laugh on Friday, with my tales of the sewer. Thanks for the texts and emails {and comments!!} with your laughing-out-loud-at-me moments. You brightened my day.

And the good news? I'm not done. Well I'm done with sewer stories {I sure hope!!} but I'm not done with some laughs for you.

Last week, Ryan and I cleaned out the attic, which led me to weed through allllllll the bags of my papers and memories from elementary school. Mom was good and saved it all. I sorted through everything while Ryan was at work one day, and I am sure the neighbors enjoyed me sitting in the pirogi, snorting/laughing at my own ridiculousness from days gone by. This stuff is TOO GOOD to keep to myself, so I thought I'd share some of it with you today and tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!!!
Found this gem in a newsletter of sorts that apparently was printed for the town back in the 80's. A precursor to the Greentown Grapevine, I believe. {That will only mean something to you if you know Greentown.} I do not even have words for this. Many giggles, but no words.
Apparently my investigative, producer-y skills were at work lonnnnnnnnng before I actually took such a job. Let's dissect this one, shall we?

* The {circle one} direction...a clear indication that I was caught up in the worksheets at school.

* Does the marital status of the Tooth Fairy really matter?

* Do you come every night? I don't know, Rebekah....do you lose teeth every night? Maybe I just wondered if he/she showed up to check for the potential. I don't know.

* Do you want to be my secret pal? Oh yeah. I  knew where the money was even back then. An in with the Tooth Fairy was IT.

* LOVE the sample address and how apparently the Tooth Fairy was a Gomez, even though I knew NO Gomezes at all. Must have come from a book. I do find the Under, Pillow quite creative.

* Wouldn't the presence of an address answer the PS?

* Love the reminder AGAIN to answer the questions, per the right side of the note.

* Verdict? Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs. Lisa Gomez never answered, did NOT want to be my secret pal, and I still have all. these. questions.

My guess is that these little leaves came from some sort of bigger-picture school craft project in honor of grandparents' day. From the top:

* Of course I would know Grandpa loves me when he buys me food. It's the way I know EVERYONE loves me still today. Want to show love? FOOD.

* And of course he "cooks good hamburgers" because he's showing me LOVE.

* And is a forgetwich like a sandwich?

* Similarly, my Grandma's love is 50% food and 50% sleep. I haven't changed much in these years.

* What else did I love about Grandma? BAKING COOKIES!!!! {Which, incidentally, as an adult, I never remember doing. I must have, but I don't remember it.}

* It is amusing that aside from the obvious food references, the things that zinged my heart were staying up as late as I wanted and gifts. Shallow. Party. Of. One.

I realize seeing my Dad as a pirate, and my letter to the Tooth Fairy and now Santa probably makes you think there was a whole different side of our family you never knew!! We were normal. Well. Our version of it anyway.

* Any child who leaps immediately to "I have been good" has, in fact, NOT been good.

* WHO GIVES MINTS TO REINDEER???? Did it help his shiny nose cut through the fog??

* Did the other reindeer have to share the one malt? And what is a malt? Did I leave a milkshake? A malt ball candy? Did they not teach in elementary school that reindeer eat carrots? Do reindeer even eat carrots? How have I survived this long?

* Poor "Cuped" and "Donder."

* Santa apparently ate all the treats. Milkshake, mints, and all.

* Why is Santa leaving messages for my grandfather? This baffles me.

* I'm still laughing.

This was apparently from some health class project.

* Ahhhh the "respirtory" system.

* The nose was life size even then. Ryan and I both had one nose size from birth on: GIANT.

* Ahhhh the gas you "breath out." BREATH! JUST BREATH!

* Bet you didn't know you had caterpillars crawling in your lungs.

* Again - that NOSE!!!


If you enjoyed this, come back tomorrow. Bigger laughs. I'm giggling just thinking ahead!!

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

These are amazing!! I jsut weeded through some things at my moms and found some hilarious old gems!

Maria Rineer said...

Not too many things are cuter or sweeter to me than reading the warbled handwriting of my kids (complete with misspellings) that offers glimpses into their minds. Looking forward to reading more of yours. When did you go from referring to yourself as "Rebecca" to "Bekah"?

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I have some of my son's stuff from school. It's amazes me to look back to that time and his way of thinking. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

HILARIOUS!!!!! Thanks for sharing Bekah!

Bekah said...

Tamar - isn't it fun! (And embarrassing??)

Maria - I DESPERATELY wanted to be Becky growing up, but my parents would not let me have a nickname, despite my pleas. When I got to college, some people started calling me Bekah, and by the time I left IWU to work for the station, I was Bekah to everyone but the students and parents I worked with. I made them call me by my full name. When I transitioned to the station, I became Bekah full time because I thought it flowed better on the air. Now I'm so used to it, it feels weird when I hear my full name. Probably less than five people still call me Rebekah.

Sherrie - Oh I hope you keep it!! What great memories!

Tia - You're welcome! Come back tomorrow for more!!

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

I call you Rebekah, and this was hilarious!

Lori said...

I call you Rebekah, and this was hilarious!

Natasha said...

I also love going down memory lane, although I don't think my mom kept near as much stuff as your mom did! I may have to do a Memory Lane post when I get around to dealing with my Second Box Of Sentimental Crap (as I fondly call it!).

And thank you for answering the "Rebekah" vs "Bekah" question. I, too, was curious.

Bekah said...

Lori - You are one of the few who call me that and I know I'm not in trouble!!

Natasha - I love the name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of your box, that is. Not of my whole three syllable name. :)