Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Spencer County: St. Meinrad

** Before I start this post, can I be so bold as to ask you who are prayer-inclined folks to pray for me today? I have my great dental event this morning, and it's scheduled to last between 4-5 hours. My specific requests are that I will either be fully asleep or seriously SO loopy that I don't know what's happening to me during the procedure - and that my jaw will handle being open that long better than I think it will. And that they don't break my jaw during the thing. I ask for prayer for that only because I had a dream that it really happened, and it has me so. freaked. out. **

Back to our vacation.

Since school is back in session, Holiday World is only open on weekends, so we took our Friday off work to tour Spencer County, where Holiday World is actually located. This county was actually formed from the parts of two other neighboring counties and is named for Captain Spier Spencer, who was killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811. A big claim to fame for this county is that President Abraham Lincoln lived in it from the time he was 7 until he was 21. There's actually a national memorial on the land where his family lived.
Please take note of my classy hair. God bless the wind. :)

{Note: over my right shoulder, you can see a cone looking thing sticking up above the trees. That is part of the bridge into Kentucky. Our hotel was literally across the street from Kentucky. The Ohio River is behind those trees, and the state line is right at the start of the river.}

We started our tour of the county by crossing to the opposite side to tour St. Meinrad Archabbey. We aren't Catholic and so I know dreadfully little about these sorts of things, but I did happen upon the information that there are only 11 archabbeys in the entire world, and only 2 of those are in the United States. {The other one is in Pennsylvania.} I figured it was rare enough that we should make sure we visit it to soak up the culture and architecture!

It was founded in 1854 by an Abbey in Switzerland. One of its main purposes is to educate leaders in the Catholic Church, and in fact, the day we visited, the students were arriving for the next term. We passed a lot of signs directing them!

They have a STUNNING church building - built back starting in 1900. Look at it:
 As we walked over the hill and it came into view, I said to Ryan, "How did they even ACCOMPLISH something this amazing in that time period? The brochure we picked up said it took seven years to build, and it was completed by monks and area townspeople who used sandstone quarried right there on the property, and hauled in mule-drawn wagons. The blocks were all cut by hand.

Unreal.

We were fortunate that no one was inside when we went through, so we were able to soak up some of the inside beauty as well:



After touring the church we took a walk through the grounds, enjoying a really tranquil rock garden area and making our way through the cemetery - hundreds of years of men who devoted their lives to this place!

Before we left, we stopped in the gift shop - which also had a casket company. I can honestly say I've never seen that combo before!

I really appreciate all the hard work and thought that has gone into making this beautiful place; it was an honor to visit and absorb everything it stands for!

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What a beautiful place!

Good luck today - you will do great and handle with flying colors!

Jayla said...

Praying that you do great today, Bekah and that we will be able to hear you on Thursday for BLT! :)

Christina said...

Praying accomplished! You will be fine.

Anonymous said...

I share your dislike for the `word` dentist, not necessarily the people `who are the word`. I can imagine the fear that you went in with BECAUSE I HAVE LIVED IT! I had an appointment one time and severely dreaded going to an oral surgeon. On the papers I filled in I noted that I was terrified of dentists. The kind man came in and talked with me awhile and said that I seemed at ease. He asked why I had said that on the paper when I seemed at ease. I said that I had been telling myself for days that my appointment was with the podiatrist! He about died laughing and after hearing my tale of woes he understood...or said he did! I am praying that things progress well for you. Most dentists are so kind and sympathetic to those of us with VERY CREATIVE MINDS and some past NOT so good experiences! Take care and enjoy the pampering and comfort offered by the Lord, family and friends! Cathy J

Anonymous said...

PRAYERS! :) XOXOXOXOXO

Bekah said...

Tamar - I thought you would find this one beautiful!!

Jayla - I made it! And as for hearing me on Thursday, you most certainly will...but you might pray I'm back in my right mind by then!

Christina - I believe you now. How are YOU??

Cathy - You made me laugh so hard! I did cry a bit when I arrived, mostly because they said I couldn't have my music. But other than that, I did okay! Ryan is taking such good care of me.

Polly, is that you? Thanks for the prayers!!! :)

Christina said...

Yay!! Glad you made it through your dental adventure. A word of advice....just keep dosing yourself with Ibuprofen for the next few days. It will help.

I'm doing ok. I'm more sore this time around, but I expected that. I had been doing well with about half of my dose of pains, so I got cocky and didn't take any for about 24 hours. By then, I realized the error of my ways, but was stuck at the doctor's office with nothing to eat so I couldn't take my meds (me+vicodin+no food=vomiting).

So now I've learned my lesson and I will be sleeping with an ice pack again. I get to take another round of oral steroids too, to help with the pain that is still present in my leg and I will start physical therapy for my left leg/foot in a couple of weeks. It's still numb and somewhat weak (as in, I can make my right foot do things that my left one struggles to do.) Fun stuff, this getting older!!

Natasha said...

This (arch) Abbey is beautiful and it makes me miss touring the incredible churches and cathedrals in Europe. What a gem to have in Indiana Bekah.