Saturday, January 07, 2012

To Those Abandoning Resolutions...

It's January 7th. Time to declare defeat against new year's resolutions...right?

I'm a structure girl. That's why new years work so well for me. They are a defined fresh start. But I've been learning in the post-desert life to mellow a little bit where that whole structure thing is concerned. I've not perfected it. When I was creeping along a four lane highway that had been reduced to a mere two non-snow-covered-tracks and I watched the counter on my GPS lose another minute, declaring I'd be a full eighteen minutes late on the first day back in a new year...I was not mellow.

But in general, I'm doing better. And I'm here to tell you...if you're annoyed (angry, disappointed, fill in the blank) with yourself over failing to live up to the expectations you declared over this year, take heart. Do not give up.

* I wrote two pages of resolutions, and then my computer restarted and auto-save...didn't. Nothing like losing the proof of your resolutions before you even get to execute them.

* I injured my leg on the first day of the new workout DVD, sitting me out from that workout for the next three days.

* The first meal I prepared from the SkinnyTaste blog (resolution to cook from there twice a month) freaked out my stomach (which is not used to eating anything gathered from any source labeled "skinny").

* My first official Pinterest project was a craft...which proved difficult when I realized the glue gun is one of the few things officially packed. Like under a well taped box.

It doesn't always go perfectly. But that's no reason to give up. I did crunches while my leg healed. I'll keep eating the health food...eventually my stomach will realize it's not just a cruel hoax. And surely someone has a glue gun I can borrow that will better hinge the darling thing I made. Double sided tape just wasn't the miracle.

I'm determined to keep going. 2012 is a year of cultivation. Not a year of perfection.

Keep going with me?

4 comments:

Deborah said...

YES!

Bekah said...

YAY! I'm glad you will :)

Ruth VanMatre said...

I can loan you a glue gun...

Bekah said...

RUTH!!! You're here!!! I love it that you commented. You have a glue gun?? I apparently need it!