Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Next Year I'm Giving Up Chocolate

Another thing that happened while I was on vacation was beginning of Lent.

I don't know if you remember this or not, but last year I'd decided to skip the whole practice of a Lenten sacrifice. Then, on the first day of Lent, God urged me to give up music in the car for the next 40 days. I thought it was very strange, but I did it. And in that season, He taught me to hear Him. To really listen. And I had no idea how necessary that practice would be during my desert journey.

The day before Lent this year, I got a text from my friend Marie. She said she was going to ask God to give me an idea for a book on Lent. That led to a text-discussion about Lent, and I told her I didn't have a clue what I was giving up this year.

She said to me, Maybe sacrifice isn't about giving something up. Maybe it's doing something we dread and the journey that comes with it.

And I knew right then that I was in for another journey.

The next morning I woke up with FFH's song Undone stuck in my mind. I found that very odd, since I haven't really listened to FFH since their song What it Feels Like sent Isaac into his wilderness and me into my subsequent tailspin.

As the few words to Undone that I actually knew played over in my mind, I remembered Marie's words.

Later that day, I wrote in my journal, All day I've felt a sense of peace - to trust You for this glorious unknown. Redemption is mine and I do know it. Lent for me this year is giving up my hold on the past. To come undone. To surrender to You and to allow You to bring a resurrection and redemption to me.

I had some trouble connecting to the internet in the cottage, so I maneuvered my very non-internet-friendly phone in desperation to find the full set of lyrics to the song. I wrote them all in the journal and then wrote, Yes indeed. It's my theme...Abba, help me to surrender...It's a journey. Just like You said. One day at a time.

And I will tell you, day after day...after day...after day...since that day in Florida, God has brought that theme back to my mind.

Something doesn't make sense...Come undone...surrender is stronger...I don't need to be the hero tonight.

I wonder what He's doing...Come undone...surrender is stronger...we all want love, we all want honor.

The journey is just HARD...Come undone...surrender is stronger...nobody wants to pay the asking price.

No comments: