Thursday, June 19, 2008

It Begins...

I've heard people talk about hitting a milestone age and "suddenly..." (Fill in the blank. They fell apart, they had surgery every six weeks, they lost their minds, whatever.)

I determined this was not going to happen to me. After all, being thirty and one month is no different than being twenty-nine and eleven months. Surely I could will it to be so, right?

Wrong.

Last night I found myself in the Wal-Mart perusing.....decaf coffee. I hoped no one saw me. Decaf is...well...not in my vocabulary. I've never believed in it and secretly raised an eyebrow at those who "can't have caffiene after six." Please. I could drink a 32 ounce Mountain Dew and fall into bed and sleep for hours.

Unfortunately, lately I've found myself unable to fall asleep. I still hold to my theory that it's directly related to the evil DST. It's about time to start the countdown for that, isn't it? But DST or no, I have to sleep. Co-workers are starting to comment on my morning draggy look and demeanor. I can't afford that. So as a fix, I've resorted to decaf for the post-six p.m. rounds of coffee.

I wasn't feeling very good about this entire situation when I went to bed an hour earlier than the last three nights. I'd just crawled in when I got a text message asking if I was planning to be online to play scrabble. The twenty something Bekah would have whimpered about lost sleep, crawled out of bed, fired up the computer, and played until falling asleep in the keyboard. But what was my response? "I was on earlier and didn't see you..." and then I FELL ASLEEP!!

What happened to the girl who could stay up until 3 in the morning and then get up for work 3-4 hours later? (For days on end.)

Shouldn't have had the decaf. I could have made it through scrabble.

7 comments:

Tina said...

Yes, needing more sleep is one of the perils of being 30+. I too could pull off weeks of just 5 or less hours of sleep a night. I haven't noticed caffiene affecting my sleep but then I usually don't have any outside of work. It takes me awhile to fall asleep also. Quite frustrating at times.

SkyePuppy said...

My pastor mentioned one time that people told him his metabolism would slow down at the stroke of age 30, and he didn't believe them, because it didn't happen.

Then when he was age 30-1/2, it hit and he started gaining weight without changing his lifestyle or eating habits.

Life has all kinds of sucker-punches waiting for you along the way (the need for reading glasses (right eye only) hit me one month before I turned 45). The best you can do (after the emotional stages of Confusion then Mortification) is to regain your sense of humor and roll with the punches. It's a lot more fun than staying in the Mortification stage.

Jenna said...

ah, yes, I was that girl who only slept a few hours a night for weeks on end (I wasn't being foolish - I had homework to do!) and then I got mono. Enjoy your sleep - it will keep you healthy!

Bekah said...

I will cry if my metabolism does that. On the other hand - if it gets much better - YAY!!!! I might also cry if I got mono. Although it would just not surprise me if I ended up with it at some point.

Unknown said...

I used to be able to stay up until all hours of the night several nights in a row, and then about 5 years into marriage (so I'd have been 25ish) I could no longer make it till midnight on the weekends.

It was really perturbing because I could get all sorts of stuff done after Bill went to bed, and nowadays I'm sound asleep before he thinks about being tired.

Sarah said...

I LOVE ONLINE SCRABBLE! We should get together and play Scrabble sometime! It's our favorite game!

Bekah said...

Kristin - well I am glad you are keeping me good company in my boat. I appreciate that. I wanna know Bill's secret to avoiding this plague though.

Sarah - Well there are two small problems. 1. I don't understand the point system yet. This is only my first week to play. 2. I have to have my "online word assistant" to help.