We may be knee deep in moving and renovations, but we created a podcast anyway! We were pretty tired, so give us grace! :)
I told you when I first shared the story of how we met our new house that it was pretty impeccable. The former owners took amazing care of this house and in truth, we could have given it a good once-over cleaning and moved right in. But where's the fun in that?? You gotta make a new house your own, right??
And so we have been.
I'll show you official before and after pictures later, when I have an after to show, but I'll start by telling you about the not-quite-full wall.
One of the things Ryan and I hoped for in a new home was an open concept between the living room and the kitchen. Ryan's Greentown house did not have that. His kitchen there was down a hallway from the living room. My house didn't have that either. The dining room separated the kitchen from the living room.
And you know what? That's okay! Some people prefer defined and separated rooms. But I love to cook and love to be able to continue in conversation with Ryan while I'm cooking. That's hard to do when you have to yell around corners and through other rooms. So we really hoped for open concept.
And this new house of ours did not have it. To its credit, those two rooms were at least next to each other, which was a step up from what we'd owned before, but they were still divided.
The wall that divided them didn't go clear to the top. It went up to about two feet from the ceiling and then just stopped. The day we walked through the house for the first time, Ryan declared if we bought this house, he would pull that wall down to just above the sink and make it open for us to have easy conversation.
I was eager to just move in, and a big mess didn't sound entirely appealing. I suggested we wait a year or so, see if we really hated the closed off wall, and then if we did, we could change it then. Later. After life settled. Ryan was okay with that for about a day, and then he convinced me it really would be better to take care of it before anything was officially moved in.
And let the record show: he was right. That demo made a HUGE mess. Much more than I ever expected. I probably would have been cleaning dust for 32 years if we'd waited until the house was full of stuff.
So the day after we walked in as owners for the first time, Ryan and his friend Troy held Shafferland demo day to take down that wall. {Please note that I was not able to be there for this, and Ryan set up the tripod and took pictures of the process for our scrapbook. One million points. He also wrote #demoday on the wall and channeled his inner Chip Gaines.}
By the time I came home, they had a pretty good mess going on:
The wall coming down made a HUGE difference. So much more light and open. And these two had a blast ripping stuff up. Of course any wall ripped down means repairs, so there was much patching and mudding and sanding to knock out after this was over, but it certainly was a fine start to our new home together!
Troy, thanks so much for helping us - and for coming back over on subsequent days to patch what was left behind!!
7 hours ago


8 comments:
How fun to be able to demo part of the wall and make it how you want it!
It's so cool how those guys can have SO much fun (even taking pictures!) while doing hard work! I agree about the open concept and wish our house had it. OK, now I'm dreaming about knocking down a wall....hmmm....which one will it be....?!
This is awesome for so many reasons.
1. Ryan TOOK PHOTOS for you. bagillion points.
2. His friend is awesome to help and yay for fun boy things like ripping things apart lol.
3. It is gonna be so great to have that open space! Beautiful!
4. I love that you are able to document all the fun of moving and happy to share with us. love that!
5. Just yay for new life adventures!
Happy Easter too, a little late. and thanks for being such a sweet friend. xo!
#demoday! I love open concept!!! Now the remaining part should be #shiplap lol!
What dress did you wear if you did not get a new Easter Dress? People need to see a picture.
Tamar - Ryan does love him a demo day!!
Shari - Ryan come come tell you which one to eliminate! LOL!!!
Polly - He documents SO WELL. I am proud of him!! It's going to take me a billion years to scrapbook this, but I'll get it done!!
Odie - Maybe I'll have to be content with my #shiplap shirt?
Katie - YES! An Easter recap shall be coming eventually! I recycled my dress from two years ago, but added leggings since it was chilly this year.
Once in a great moon -- I LOVE it!!! Listening to Ryan is like listening to Rachel -- they repeat phrases but don't get them quite right and it's awesome :) I hope Ryan isn't offended I just compared him to a not-quite-five-year-old.
In Judaism there is a mezuzzah at the door to every room which holds scripture in it. It takes the verse about "writing it on your doorposts" seriously. Also, in Edmonton we had a wall replaced (and it was a temporary wall) so our landlords said Sam could decorate it if he wanted to. We didn't tell Sam about this because we didn't want him to learn a bad habit!
Is Ontario too far for your friend to come and do drywall for us?!?!?
Why on earth would someone paint around things rather than removing them?!?!? That's kind of funny!
It definitely takes a village to move. I may have said this once (or twice or seven times) before!
It is hard to receive but there is definitely something about moving which helps us accept it.
Definitely, if possible, do any work which needs to be done BEFORE you move in so you don't have to clean up all your stuff. I can't wait to see the finished product. And I love that Ryan documented everything for you. So sweet! He definitely knows one of your love languages!
Post a Comment