Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Lessons Learned from Phoebe

If you caught yesterday's post on paring down the stuff, you might like to hear the things Ryan and I don't think we could live without if we minimized even more. That and a brand new Ryan-and-the-ice-cream-shop story all for you right here!


So Phoebe has been here for two weeks now, and we are learning a lot from this little girl. Our little girl is not really in the mood to learn new things from our house guest, so she's locked herself in our bedroom and won't come out except at night (we think) while the rest of us are asleep. There have been a few showdowns, and we've talked to Phoebe about sharing this lovely home with its occupant. I'm not sure that has really settled in yet.

But Pheebs is a lot of fun, and we've learned a lot. I told Ryan the other day that I see why "they" tell you to get a dog before you have a baby (no, that's not an announcement) because the principles of time investment and sacrifice really are good preparation!

A few peeks at our fun and lessons learned:

* I have a new appreciation for all the evenings my mom sat with a brush and a bottle of No More Tangles and tried to work knots out of my long, tangly hair. Phoebe does NOT like having her hair brushed, and bless her little heart, she's patient and sits quietly, but now and then she rips her paw out of my hand and growls. I know, sister. I know it hurts. Been there! (Now that my hair is long again, I'm back there again every day!)
* Schedules can be taught. We always have a hard time getting Pheebs to eat at our house, because her routine is all out of whack. For the first few days she was here, she wasn't a great eater, but with a little perseverance, she figured out her new routine and now she's eating like a champ!

* There is nothing like being welcomed home by a squeaker toy party EVERY SINGLE TIME. It doesn't matter if we're gone for ten minutes or two hours. Our arrival at home is met with much fanfare. Jumping, kissing, wild chomping on the squeaker toy, and much running. I don't know that I have ever been so consistently received with such unabashed joy. It has certainly boosted my soul!
* You need to get to bed first. Because otherwise:
* Having an assistant is pretty much the best. She is the most patient dog when it comes to unending hours of podcasting, editing, writing, reading, etc.
(Also - where did my neck go in that picture?)

* Family walks increase dramatically when you have to make sure you don't skip potty breaks. That has been such a beautiful bonus! (Helps that the weather has been nice!)
So we might be moving a bit slower these days as we schedule time for walks, play time, and cuddling a little fur ball, but it's sweet. We appreciate her and all the unconditional love she gives!



3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Such special time with her!

Unknown said...

Our dog doesn't like to eat when she's at Grandma and Grandpa's either! We've found that if we purchase some canned food of her regular dry dog food, she's a happy eater for the entire time we're gone. We have her sitters mix the canned 50/50 with her dry. She thinks she's getting a treat! Just a suggestion for next time...

Unknown said...

A dog's excitement every single time you get home is the absolute best part of having a dog. It never gets old!! It makes you feel so loved!!

Also, I found a shirt online the other day that says, "Be the person your dog thinks you are." I love it!!! Maybe I'll paint it on a canvas and hang it on my house as a reminder. :)