Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Ahhhh....School Lunches

Yesterday, as part of my volunteer job at the school, I was in charge of laying out the lunches for one of the preschool classes, so when they came into the cafeteria, everything was ready to go.

It was a fascinating job, actually, because it took me down memory lane a bit when it came to school lunches.

Did you all take your lunch to school? Or did you eat in the cafeteria? I did a bit of both. When I was in lower elementary, I had a metal lunch box (remember those?) with a matching thermos inside. (Things I should have kept, I'm sure.)

Each week, the school would send home a menu for the following week, and I would mark it with the lunches that looked appealing to me. Mom would send enough lunch money to cover those days, and on the days when the food just didn't cut it for me, she would pack a lunch.

Of course there were the infamous rectangle pizzas. You remember those, right? And I seem to remember some sort of stew that had peas, carrots and meat that resembled hamburger. And bread and butter. We had bread and butter frequently. Did you? (It was always cut on the diagonal, and I would eat it starting in the center, leaving the crust.) I also vaguely remember the chili, which I think was served with a peanut butter sandwich. Peanut butter is probably outlawed in cafeterias now, isn't it?

I'm not sure what it says about me that these are the only dishes I remember.

Anyway.

Unpacking the lunches at school taught me about foods I didn't even know existed and reminded me of things I'd forgotten.

* Squeeze yogurt. I don't even know the technical term for these, but several kids had them. They looked like those plastic popsicle pouches that you open by snipping the end and trying to eat the popsicle before it melts into juice at the bottom of the plastic sleeve. Except these had yogurt.

* All the yogurt, actually. I'm pretty sure as a kid, I wouldn't have touched yogurt with a ten foot pole, but these kids had it not only in the squeeze tubes, but also pouches and little tubs. (One kid even got M&Ms to sprinkle in his. Bet his neighbors were jealous of that!)

* Juice boxes and pouches. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh the fun of trying to stab the straw through the foil seal without jamming the straw or shoving it clear through to the other side. I would like the record to show I had 100% success.

* The thermos of hot food. Took me back to my own first grade days when Mom would pack leftover soup for me in a thermos. One kiddo had a thermos (and a parent with wild muscles to seal it) full of something warm and homemade smelling. Comfort food for the win!

* Pop Tarts. I lived on those for several years. Brown sugar cinnamon, S'mores, Chocolate, even the occasional strawberry. I'm not sure I've touched one since college or shortly thereafter, but apparently they're alive and well in school lunches!

* Lunchables. I used to think it would be the ultimate to eat a Lunchable. (They were never in my budget. So expensive for so little food.) And apparently some come with bite-sized candy bars!

* Crackers and cheese. Not the sandwich crackers with cheese in the middle. The cracker sticks that you dip into the nice hunk of processed cheese. I always wanted to eat the cheese with a spoon.

* Homemade delights. There were a few fun homemade things tucked in. A quesadilla, a wrap, and a couple of good old fashioned sammiches.

And then I came home and fixed Ryan's lunch. It was new for us on the home-front: a spinach, feta, chicken wrap with strawberries and ranch. For the first time ever, he raised an eyebrow and said, "Why are we eating strawberries with ranch?"

Just trust me, I said.

So he did. Probably in much better fashion than most preschoolers would have.

His verdict?

"Genius. You wouldn't think it works, but it does. I can't believe it."



6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh lunches at school! We have a hot lunch program, but nothing like a public school - it's preset (every M is the same options, etc etc) all year. Then pizza on the new Jewish month for all kids. I only ever got fish sticks and pizza as a kid mom packed everything else!

Bekah said...

Interesting! I guess that makes for easy menu planning, doesn't it? Is your pizza the rectangle pizza or pizza ordered in? I confess I would eat either one!

Maria Rineer said...

My siblings and I "qualified" for free lunches at school. Thanks, tax payers of Indiana!! My mom didn't pack our lunches since we got them for free. Most kids loved the pizza but I hated it so I always traded it for dessert.

Anonymous said...

We always put the rectangle pizza inside the (white) bread (with butter) to make a pizza sandwich. It was delicious, but talk about carb overload!
I rarely brought my own lunch, and only when I was old enough to make it myself. My mom worked outside the home and didn't want to pack lunches when school was cheap & much healthier... one thing I carried over to my kids. Them bringing a lunch was a rarity.
One of my favorites from growing up and when eating with my kids at their school was Turkey Tidbits in Gravy, served over mashed potatoes. YUM! I think I might have to find a kid that won't be embarrassed by me joining them at lunch so I can enjoy that again, soon! lol
I think lunches back in my day (80s) were more "homemade" and the cooks actually cooked things, and now with all the regulations, things are less healthy and processed. The cooks mostly microwave things.
Yes, peanut butter is banned from most schools now. The replacement in our district is sunbutter (from sunflower seeds) and my kids say it is nasty. I think you can probably find sunbutter that is ok, but the school version is large-quantity-govt-issued-not-great variety.
Also, we had lunch cards that were about the size of a credit card but made of heavy paper. There were 20 lunches per card. You bought the card in the office, then the lunch room workers would use a hole punch to punch your card as you went through line. Don't lose or forget that card or you go without lunch! Today it's all computerized, and I can load my kid's account from any computer. Magic of technology!

Rachel in ND

Lori said...

When you are my age, school lunches were long ago and contained a few truly nasty things such as cooked spinach and hominy. Bread and real butter every day, except when they served peanut butter sandwiches on chili day. But lots of things were homemade and delicious. And the teacher sat with her class and ate with them. I have often wondered since when the teacher ever went to the bathroom.

Bekah said...

Maria - You are a woman after my own heart! Trading for dessert FOR THE WIN!

Rachel - LOVED your story! I don't think we got the turkey tidbits in gravy, though I do remember (now that you mention it) having mashed potatoes sometimes. I have never heard of sunbutter, but that makes a lot of sense. I have to say it doesn't sound super appealing. Interesting about your card system! Our payment was done in the classroom. There was a giant envelope with the class roster on it and you'd come up to pay either by the day or week. I remember when I worked as a cadet teacher in my mom's classroom that I got to do the lunch call sometimes and I thought it was great fun!

Lori - LOL!! SPINACH!?!?!?!? No thank you!!!! And I thought not peeing was one of the superpowers of teachers. No?