Monday, August 14, 2017

In Which We Go Back to School...

...okay, so it wasn't really school, but we learned! Does that count?

We are new at our church, but even so, we've been given the opportunity to lead a small group this fall, and we are excited. We've led together twice before: once at our Marion church and once with Ryan's co-workers. To have this additional chance to not only lead, but to get to know people in our new church home is a thrill!

We were intrigued to learn that this church, even though it's not tiny, hasn't had a specific small group ministry in the past. So we're part of the official launch of a new kind of ministry for them, and that's exciting as well. This past weekend, they put together a really thorough training course for those who will be leading small groups/studies of various kinds throughout the church, and we were able to be part of it!

It kicked off Friday night with dinner, and we learned a fun fact there: we have an actual chef in our church! Like culinary school trained and official! And what a delicious weekend it made. Since I am still new and didn't want to ENTIRELY let the Bekah-razzi fly in front of strangers, I tried to be discreet and didn't take pictures of every single thing as it came my way.

I did, however, capture the salad:
 (And yes, that is my coffee mug next to my water. I brought my own coffee. Couldn't risk spending a whole evening trying to learn if they didn't have any coffee brewed. I know my limitations.)

And check out the dessert. I couldn't finish it. Sadness.
Sorry, Ryan, that you get brownies and frozen yogurt. And no mint leaves.

Friday night's teaching and worship was excellent. I took notes furiously, which I'm sure will shock all of you.
We even got matching t-shirts to wear for sign up Sunday! Tried them on when we got home, and thank goodness they fit! (Whew!)
We went back on Saturday to have a second day of training. I hate to be stuck on the food, but ummmmm homemade scones and iced coffee??? OKAY!!!!
I just realized my scone looks like a fox head. Two eyes and a snout. LOL!!

Anyway. Breakfast was all we needed to make us ready to learn!
I have to brag on the church for a bit, because the guest speakers they brought in to teach us came from another local church. I know that sometimes churches feel like they have to be in competition with one another (not true, but you know it happens!) so to have ours reach out locally and be met with such love was a beautiful thing. I was proud of both churches! Way to lead by example!

We learned so much on Saturday and...ahem...had a great lunch with dessert!

Sugar cookies and cake pops? OKAY!!

A wonderful weekend, and certainly some of the best and most intentional leader training I've ever been through! And a bonus? Met some new friends. A happy weekend, indeed.

(PS. They also gave us coffee mugs, pens, and a binder. All my love languages collided rather loudly. Sigh. Of. Happiness.)








3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What a delicious and meaningful weekend!
I didn't hear about small group until college when my roommate went to one. Jews (not all clearly) who like to do text study usually meet with 1 or 2 other people and we call it "chevruta" (chev-roo-tuh -- ch like chanukah). I haven't done that since my jewish high school days but it's always good to study and learn!!

Anonymous said...

awesome of you guys to serve like that!! and you look darn cute in your shirts, too! Many hugs for a great week. and oh my lands that FOOD. yumm. That church knows whats UP in the food department! :) XOXO

Odie Boggs said...

Yummy food. And your PS 😂😂