Monday, August 07, 2017

56 Months Strong!

Last week marked 56 months of marriage for us!
 (This bush had a lot more flowers on it at this time last year!)

Anyway. Fifty-six months of fun together!

Not long ago, I heard a gentleman talking about people who want to give marriage advice. He said, "Don't come to me with marriage advice until you've been married at least twenty years. I might listen then. Five years? Forget it." (He wasn't speaking to me personally, but it struck me anyway.)

I understand what he's saying. At not quite five years in, I know there's a lot we don't know about each other or the art of marriage. But I don't think 56 months makes us ignorant about marriage, either. I feel like we've done many things well, and it's been an honor to share our thoughts with others (who have a slightly more welcoming approach to accepting input) based on our experiences!

One of the things I'm glad we've done for these almost five years? Monthiversary observations. I know some have been skeptical of our choice to do this, and that's fine, but we love it! It's not just scrapbook fodder for us. It's an actual opportunity to pause and reflect on another milestone and all we've enjoyed together since saying our vows.

Sometimes we do a big date for our monthiversary, and sometimes we just hang out at home and enjoy being together. This month was the hang-out-at-home kind of day. Well. Except for work. Ryan did have to go to work.

I made an asparagus quiche for lunch, and it was quite yummy!
After work, we needed to run a few errands, so we went across town right during rush hour. Now, allow me to be fair by saying we don't live in a huge city, and "rush hour" here isn't what many of you deal with every day. But my goodness! When you're not used to being out in the thick of things during busy traffic times, it's maddening! I've never been so glad to see a parking lot!
Our shopping find for the day? These tumblers! I told you before that for Christmas, we received RTIC tumblers that keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold. We love them, but they're huge and we can't put them side by side in our cup holders in our car. So we wanted to try to find something similar in a smaller version! SCORE!
We had dinner at home: leftovers, actually, from the night before, when we ate at Phoebe's people's house. (We could only eat about a third of what they served us, but it made for a lovely monthiversary meal!)
(Photo was from the night before.)

We did have our own dessert, though, and Ryan got some frozen yogurt to go with it. Interesting pattern there, isn't it?
He keeps me laughing! :)

Happy 56 months, Ryan! Thanks for celebrating with me and for buying the official gift for 56 months: tumblers!

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I love how you diligently observe this!! To each their own and what works for them and you make them so fun and special!!!

Maria Rineer said...

I used to drive through your town on my way to and from college. It seemed liked if you hit one stop light you hit them all. And there were So many of them :(. And, I always hit them. It looks like you had guys had another fun celebration together.

Odie Boggs said...

Happy 56 months.

Jessica C said...

I love the idea of Monthiversaries, and I enjoy seeing y'all celebrate them! :) I'm no marriage expert either (3 years this Wednesday!) but from what I can tell so far, it's the little things in marriage that add up to the big things! I think y'all's celebrations are perfectly fitting :) Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

This was a great post! Happy 56 months!!! XOXO

Bekah said...

Tamar - This works for us! We love to celebrate!

Maria - Oh my goodness, YES! There's the bypass around Kokomo now that helps with that, but if you hit the red lights going through town, you're just going to be there a while. Happened to me yesterday!

Odie - THANK YOU!!!! :)

Jessica - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY a little early! I love this! You're absolutely right. Little things add up to the big things!

Polly - Thank youuuuu!! :)