Friday, February 26, 2016

Homecomings

The time is coming.

The twenty year high school reunion.

It sounds so old to me. How am I old enough to be out of high school for twenty years? Ryan and I talked the other day, after seeing a picture of friends our age who have teenage kids, and we decided not having kids makes us feel younger. Like we're somehow prolonging any aging process because we don't have kids growing older before our very eyes to remind us that we are doing the same thing.

Anyway. Twenty years. Twenty years since I roamed the halls of our little high school, slamming my shiny green locker door shut and scurrying to make it to whatever reach of the brick building before the tardy bell rang. Twenty years since I took my place at the end of the long lunch table, eating the infamous rectangle "pizzas" and drinking the iced tea I paid extra to have. Twenty years since an unknown substance in the Chemistry lab ate a hole in the front of my skirt and twenty years since I made endless batches of chocolate chip cookies in the Home Ec kitchens.

Social media changes the face of reunions. There's no reason to go back to see who got married, who stayed skinny and who found success, because a quick scroll through Facebook will tell you all of that {and probably a whole lot more you didn't care to know}.

This week, I started reading Christie Purifoy's book, Roots and Sky, and she says "Homecoming is a single word, and we use it to describe a single event. But true homecoming requires more time. It seems to be a process rather than a moment...homecoming is always a return and our understanding of home deepens with each encounter."

The weekend of the reunion, I plan to "go home" {which is really not far from where I am now} and see people that I sometimes see and sometimes never see. I'll take with me a husband who spent all those years in the same building, but I never had a clue I would end up belonging to him. I'll see the real life versions of the people I see online every day. And that will be my single-word homecoming.

But Christie's right. Homecoming DOES require more time. It is a process. The Facebook page our class president started just a couple of days ago to contain all the plans for that single event has already been flooded with throwback pictures. Fuzzy photos of skinny kids with LOTS of hair product, wearing pleated pants and turtlenecks, perms and pegged jeans, and possessing no clue of what was ahead of them.

We're posting and gasping and liking and giggling like elementary kids again, but in that, we're processing the people we were and the people we are now, and we're uncovering more of who we are by remembering who we were. And I think I like it - the process homecoming.

And I thought you might enjoy a little Friday fun! Here are some of the gems my classmates dug up. Can you find me? {It's easier in some than others.}

{Ask Ryan which ones confused him!!}







5 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Wow - what a milestone. I hit 10 years this year. My high school isn't even open anymore so it's weird to look back and just wonder about everyone!

Maria Rineer said...

I'm not on Facebook so going to an event like my high school reunion would truly elicit surprising reactions from me, I'm sure.... In addition to not being on FB, I don't live close to my high school so I've not gone to one reunion. Everyone from my school that I can remember is still the 18 version of him or herself in my mind!

Christina said...

I don't like this post! Because if it's been 20 years for you, it's been....20 years...for me and I am NOT that old!! Like Tamar, my school no longer exists, so no reunions for me.

I had to look really hard at the fourth picture down. I think I know which one is you, but you had a definite twin and all four of you could easily be sisters!

Bekah said...

Tamar - Will your class get together even without the actual high school anymore?

Maria - It WOULD still be a fun mystery if you're not on Facebook!!! :) And I know we have a few in our class who aren't either, so if they come, it'll be fun to see them!

Christina - Ahhh yes, but remember you are several months younger than I am, so you've got THAT going for you!! The fourth picture down was a trick, as they are ALL me. From the left, 9th, 8th, 7th, and 6th grades!!

Natasha said...

My Grade 12 class wasn't that great so I did go to my 20 year reunion but decided I wouldn't go to any others. I'm glad that you have better memories than I do! I don't think Homecoming is for everyone, that's for sure.