Monday, February 01, 2016

What I Learned in January


Emily Freeman does a series of blog posts about what she has learned each month. I completely forgot to write my post about that last Friday, so even though today actually kicks off a whole new month, I still wanted to share what I learned in January! {Meanwhile, HAPPY FEBRUARY!!!}

1. Winter is so much prettier when you're not a commuter. I think this may actually fall under something I affirmed in my mind this month, rather than something I learned. While we didn't have an overly snowy month, there were so many nights when I slept beautifully because I knew I did not have to drive to Fort Wayne the next morning. I have had such a fondness for this winter, and that is a wondrous thing I've not enjoyed for years. Thank you, Ryan, for making this season possible for me!


2. Working out three times a day = no. During the last week of my second round of the 21 Day Fix, I worked out three times each day. That crossed the line. It was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting and for me, anyway, seemed to yield no impressive additional results. I told Ryan to remind me of that if I ever happened to threaten this sort of behavior again.


3. Shepherding is hard work. Not like actual sheep shepherding. But our sermon series at church this month has been about learning to shepherd those around you. I went into this series with much enthusiasm, and while I am still excited to see what God has for me/us in the realm of shepherding others, I have learned it is not for the faint of heart. I've appreciated our pastor's teaching on this topic {which you can watch here if you want} and feel I've learned so much in just a month.


4. There are women in this world who have to hide during their periods because they have no sanitary supplies. My day observing/documenting/helping with The Dignity Project was so eye opening to the plight of women living in our very modern age who still do not have access to pads or tampons to carry them through their periods. Every month, they have to stay home and hide, because they have no other choice. The day I spent with the women who created reusable pads and pouches for these ladies half a world away was convicting, awe-inspiring, and extremely educational.


5. Webinars are more fun when you choose them yourself. Upon occasion, I had to watch webinars when I worked at IWU and at WBCL. I hated webinar days. I got sleepy just thinking about them. Sitting in a warm conference room and being quiet for an hour or two was just too hard for me. In January alone, I chose to watch three webinars from my own home, and I thoroughly enjoyed each one. I was able to walk around when I wanted, get snacks and drinks, and choose my own topics. Made all the difference, and I'm grateful for the people who made them possible!


6. Styrofoam snowballs look like eggs. On two separate occasions this month, I sent people pictures of my dining room table {photo above is one example} and both times, the recipients asked me why I had eggs in with junk food. The Styrofoam balls that are supposed to look like snowballs, apparently photograph as eggs.


7. I'm kind of a grammar failure. I finished my book manuscript last November, and this month a proofreader edited it for me. She sent it back with a humiliating amount of things marked. She actually told me it was a pretty clean manuscript, which made me wonder exactly what kinds of manuscripts other writers turn in, but it was humbling to see how much I thought I knew, but actually I don't! I told her I write by ear like some musicians play by ear. Except I hope they get more of their notes right than I did!

8. Slow cooker meals are torture when you work from home. The last week of January, I participated in a slow cooker challenge, where I made each day's meal that way. It was amazing to find new recipes I loved, but that whole gratification thing of walking into a delicious smelling house goes much easier when you are not in said house all day long. Smelling the delight while trying to focus on work is, well, hard.

So there's a sampling of what I learned in January. Possibly nothing earth-shattering there, but hopefully something entertaining in some manner!


11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

3 times a day, oy!! I thought I was nuts for going to the gym 2x a day!

Maria Rineer said...

I think it was Styrofoam balls' close proximity to food items that gave people the impression they were eggs. Too funny. You could have teased the people who thought they were eggs, "Haven't you seen the trend on Pinterest where hard boiled eggs are served alongside junk food? It's all the rage when hosting these days!"

AmieAuthor said...

1. I don't think those look like eggs. There are always eggs sitting on my counter because we have chickens. Eggs aren't spheres, people! ;)
2. I didn't notice tons of mistakes in your manuscript, so mine will probably get the same note yours did. You are not alone!
3. I really enjoyed reading your list. You're fun :)

Shari said...

Interesting post! No surprise, of course! I sure get what you mean about Webinars!

Anonymous said...

i like the snow balls!! cute idea!
and you are right, 3 times a day is yuck city.
I can do twice in the summer (yoga morning, walk evening) but that's my limit if I am going to continue to be a enjoyable girl. :)haha

I liked this post! I hope you to a "what I learned this month" post every month! Love it! Also a creative soul you are Bakah Shaffer. :)
XOXO

Anonymous said...

okay MY typos are everywhere in that post...

an enjoyable...
i hope you do..
always a creative soul...

i type faster than my brain works apparently :)

XOXO

Christina said...

A few things I learned from this post:

1. Most people think working out 3x's/week is hard....I had no idea anyone even attempted 3x's/day!

2. Although I've never sat in a webinar, I'm pretty sure that I'm about to join that world, especially if I do find a position working from home. Something tells me there is no way the healthcare system will NOT have those pesky things.

3. The crockpot is awesome, but I completely agree about the torture of smelling such deliciousness all day.

4. You, my friend, do NOT have atrocious grammar! You haven't even begun to see how bad it can be. Your editor probably uses your manuscripts as the "What to do" example.

5. Oh, and out of order, but I agree about snowy days being better when you don't have to be in them. I don't mind driving in them so much, but now that I'm officially lame (the words my dear children use to describe my injury) I worry immensely about falling on the slippery sidewalks or parking lots. Fun stuff!

Anonymous said...

Put the slow cooker in your garage and an hour before Ryan comes home move it to the house. Katie Schrempp

Bekah said...

Tamar - Three times a day was nuts. I still claim two, but the one hardly counts because it's not very long. You are dedicated!!

Maria - that made me laugh out loud! Snowballs are back in the attic now. On to Valentines!!!

Amie - Thank you!!! I'm glad it was fun and thanks for the manuscript grace!

Shari - Because of what I learned about webinars, I fully believe now that offices should allow people to move about the room freely during them to keep them awake!

Polly - You made me laugh with your "if I'm going to continue to be an enjoyable girl." TRUTH!!!!!!

Christina - No one SHOULD attempt it. I was trying to save everyone from thinking it was a good idea! And if you have to do a webinar - I hope you really enjoy the content, because otherwise I'm just so sorry. As for the grammar, at least I was consistent in what I did wrong. Same mistakes over and over! :) And oh my goodness!! Officially lame??? Well I respectfully disagree. But to be on the safe side, stay off the ice.

Bekah said...

Katie - now why didn't I think of that??? That is a great idea!!!

Natasha said...

I really liked this post. And I'm looking forward to the rest of your learnings this year. (And yes, I made up a word!)