Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Big Gulps, and Not the Drinks

It's TUESDAY!!!! Podcast day! We're telling stories of dates and Valentine's Day and how we're learning to strap on the full armor of God!

 I don't know if you saw the Saturday Six or not, but I told you about the book I just finished reading for my devotions over the past month. It was written by Debbie Alsdorf and focused on living in bold faith. So the next book on my shelf was also written by Debbie and is called A Woman Who Trusts God

I'm only a couple of days into it and have very nearly already drained one pen from underlining. I might have known that moving from the topic of faith to trust that this was not going to be easy. 

Debbie talked about how all of us have "meantimes" throughout our lives. She says it's "that place in between a problem recognized and a solution realized." {page 18} Your meantime probably doesn't look anything like mine, but we both have them, don't we? 

She goes ON to say this, which is what made me start doing the big gulp: "How will we live in that space between our prayer to God and the answer on earth? Does the meantime rob us of joy? Does it steal our peace and dilute our faith? Does it distract our focus? Does the meantime open the door for chaos and worry?" {page 18}

Oh man. 

I remember back when I lived in the desert place, I knew I had been chosen for that time, as hard as it was, and I desperately wanted to be found faithful. I focused hard on living well in that time. That was a deep, hard meantime, and I wanted to live it well.

But I confess I don't always put as much effort toward the "tiny meantimes" I live. I confess that I do let the meantime steal my joy and dilute my faith. It does distract me, and I've been known to worry a time or two in my life.

Hence the big gulp.

So this is my focus in prayer this week. As Ryan and I live in meantimes of our own, I want to come out of them full of joy, full of even bigger faith, and full of peace. We both want that. 

So how about your meantime? 





11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Tiny meantimes, I like it! I need to work on that too!

efulton12 said...

That's one of the most powerful books I've ever read. Lots of tears and truth in that one!

Maria Rineer said...

Wow, never thought about something like the meantimes. Sounds like a great book.

Bekah said...

Tamar - I think probably what we do in the tiny ones impacts the most. Gulp again!!!

Erica - Oh good! I'm so glad the rest of the book is as good to look forward to as the parts I've read so far! And I think the other book I'm reading this week - for review - is one you will love. I have thought of you so many times!!

Maria - It is! And Erica says it stays that way. YAY!!! The whole meantime concept is new to me but I think it's so valid!!!

Anonymous said...

in the meantimes... oooh man. Been having this convo a lot with Abbi lately. like this time is NOT wasted waiting on what is next. Each day could be really great even tho you don't have an answer yet to what is ahead. oh man so so hard. this comes from the girl who reads the end of a book FIRST because i cannot handle not knowing!!! eeek!!!

Love you girl!!! And excited for where God will take you next! I saw on facebook about the house. So where is the destination after you sell? Close to Ryans job?
XOXO

thank you again for a sweet blog with so much wisdom and heart put into it. XO!

sarah.flyingkites said...

I really enjoyed your podcast this week! Thanks particularly for your honesty regarding your "Come to Jesus" marriage meetings :) appreciate how real & relatable it was!

Bekah said...

Thanks, Sarah!! I remember thinking very distinctly after that meeting how grateful I was to have the freedom {on both sides} to have those loving confrontations. How grateful I am that we both want to learn how to be better and we both see more in each other than we see in ourselves. Things I didn't know about marriage before I got here, but I sure am grateful!

Shari said...

Have I told you lately how MUCH I LOVE your podcasts?!! Thanks for doing them! I always look forward to listening to them on Tuesday mornings now as I put my makeup on, etc. and now I'm looking pretty good on Tuesdays!! LOL!!

Bekah said...

awwww thanks, Shari!!! That brightens our day so much! A half hour of makeup can't hurt anyone, right? Maybe I should take up your practice!

Natasha said...

I am not good at living in the "meantimes." In fact, that paragraph you quoted had me taking some big gulps too. Gah.

Natasha said...

Okay, you guys are making me laugh A LOT and we're only like two minutes into the podcast. Ha ha ha!!! You guys are still hilarious!!!

I love stay-cations. Especially planned ones :)

Thank you for sharing how your marriage has changed and some sacrifices you have made to have new good things happening.