It's podcast Tuesday! Here are our stories for you this week:
Today is also a significant and sentimental day for me...for all of us in our family. Thirty years ago today, we said hello and goodbye, all in one breath, to my little nephew, Kirk. Today I honor him with these words, which I wrote as an 8th grader for a class project. It's not my most polished writing, but it is my most treasured writing. These memories I preserved as a teenager have faded from my mind with the passing of time. Had I not stopped to intentionally capture them, I fear I would not remember so much of this life-changing day.
I share my words with you in honor of a little life that forever marked mine. Happy birthday, Kirk. My heart still misses and loves you.
***
No one makes a sound in the surgical waiting
room. The sun hasn't come up yet, and I am squirming on the couch. No one in my
family is talking. I don't understand. We came here because my sister is having
a baby. That's a happy reason, right? So why is everybody just sitting and
staring?
Jeff said that they'd taken Lori to
surgery. So that means it won't be long until the baby's born, right? In just a
little while, I'll have either a niece or a nephew. Then I'll finally be an
aunt!
I look at the bag I've lugged with me.
I was so excited yesterday when I packed it. Mom said it wouldn't be long until
the baby was born, so I wanted to be ready. She never told me this could happen
in the middle of the night. I'm too tired to look at the things I brought with
me, but I'm too excited to sleep.
Another family had been in here with
us, but they left a few minutes ago. I'm glad. Their daughter was in a wreck,
and they were upset. I feel bad for them, but we're here for a happy reason. I
don't want to be sad in here.
Mom's leaving now. Where is she going?
She might miss something! What if the doctor comes? Oh. She's only going to the
bathroom. She'd better hurry. Why is this taking so long?
A man is walking in now. He doesn't
look happy. Maybe he's tired. Or maybe he came to see the family that left. No.
He's coming over here. Who is he? He's walking over to my brother-in-law.
"Lori's fine, but we lost the
baby."
I'm confused. Who is this man? What
does he mean, "lost the baby?" How can you lose a baby? I watch Jeff closely. He's just
sitting there with his chin resting in one hand. He's staring at the chair
across from him. What's happening?
WAIT!
No! I understand now! NO!! They lost
the baby! The baby died! No, no, NO! The man is leaving. Where is he going? He
can't just come in here, tell us our baby died, and leave. Come back here!
My other sister is crying. Crying.
That's what you're supposed to do when somebody dies. Cry. They'll think there
is something wrong with me if I don't cry. I need to cry. Why can't I cry?
I bury my head in my dad's shirt and
pretend to cry. Maybe if nobody sees my face, they'll think I'm really crying.
They won't see that I'm not crying real tears. I try to make myself cry for
real. It's working. The tears are starting to come now. They're coming fast.
Dad's getting up. He's going to the
hallway. Why? Oh. Mom is still gone. He's trying to get to her. My sister
follows him. I follow, too. Mom comes out of the bathroom.
"What's wrong?" She sounds
scared when she talks. That scares me. I'm crying hard now. I can't stop. Julie
and I both cry. The four of us are standing in the middle of the hallway,
holding onto each other, crying.
We got back to the waiting room. Jeff
is still sitting in the chair. He doesn't talk. He doesn't pace. He doesn't
cry. He just sits. Julie curls up on the couch with the blanket she was
crocheting for the baby. She's still crying.
Somehow I find out it's a boy. Those
words are supposed to be happy words, but they're not to us. They're just
words. Just like, "It's raining."
"It's a boy."
How did he die? He was fine just a
while ago.
They tell me his cord was
"kinked." It cut off his air supply. It happened right before the
c-section. What's a cord? What's kinked? What's a c-section? I know these
words. Why don't they make sense? How do we know all this? Did the man tell us
before he left? I didn't hear it.
We go upstairs. They're going to show
us the baby. But he's dead. I don't want to see a dead baby, do I? We have to
sit outside Loris' room while she and Jeff see him first. Where is the baby?
A very tall nurse comes down the hall.
She's walking fast, like she's going to start running. She's carrying something
in a blanket. What is it? It can't be a baby. You don't walk fast with a baby.
You don't hold him like a football. You use both hands and walk slowly.
She pushes the door open and disappears inside. When are they bringing the
baby? She comes back out with nothing in her hands. That was the baby.
They call us inside. Lori's lying in
bed looking sleepy. She's not crying either. She's just lying there. Everybody
holds him. I'm in the way. I look for a place to sit. There is none. Jeff is
sitting in a chair. He tells me to sit on his knee. I do.
It's my turn to hold the baby. He's
big. His head lays next to my elbow. His feet go all the way to my other
elbow. He's heavy. Most of his head is covered with a blue knit cap. His hair
is wet and matted, and I see a little blood on it. His eyes are closed; he just
looks like he's asleep. His face is so white, and so is his chest and the arm
that lays across it. The blanket has fallen away a little, and I can see faint,
tiny bruises on his neck. They tell me they're from doing CPR. His lips are
kind of bluish. He feels warm through the blanket, but I'm not sure.
I've never touched anyone who's died
before. He's really cute. He just looks like a sleeping baby, except for his
blue lips.
Today is Friday. He died five days
ago. They're going to have a funeral for him today. I wonder how tiny he'll
look in that great big casket. He seemed big when I held him at the hospital,
but I bet he'll look tiny today.
They've put him in a little side room
of the church. I go in. Where is he? I don't see a casket. Oh — there! That's a
casket? It looks like a cooler. It's so little. I didn't know they made them
that little. There's a blanket draped inside. It's yellow and green. It's the one
Julie made for him. They're going to bury him with it. There's a little blue
stuffed bear in the corner. I bought that for him. They are going to bury that
with him, too. They bought a christening gown for him. I'm not so sure about a
boy in a dress. What if people think he's a girl?
Lori and Jeff are standing beside him.
Everybody in the room is crying. Who are all these people? They must be Jeff's
relatives. I don't know them. I don't want them looking at me. This is my nephew. Don't they know that? Lori tells me
to come stand beside her. I do.
He looks so different now. His hair
isn't wet anymore. The blood is gone. His hair looks soft. It's light brown.
His lips aren't blue anymore. They're dark red. He's so light skinned. His
hands are clenched in tiny baby fists. Lori lifts up the hem of the gown so I
can see how big his feet are. Compared to the rest of him, his feet are huge.
But he still just looks so breakable.
Lori says to touch him. I don't want
to touch him. He looks so cold. I touch him anyway. He is cold. I pull back. I don't want to feel the
cold anymore. I start to cry. I cry and cry. My face is all hot and wet, but I
can't stop crying. It seems real now. He's cold, and he looks just like a baby
doll. He doesn't look like a sleeping baby anymore. He just looks like a baby
doll.
The funeral is long. Julie and I sit
together. We cry during the whole thing. The people sing about being near to
the heart of God. It's a sad song. The preacher says the baby's in a better
place. I know that, but I wish he could be here with us. We're still crying.
People are staring at us, but I don't care. We are sad. Don't they understand
that?
We go to the cemetery. They put the
little box on the ground. A little metal plaque has been hammered into the ground.
It says Geoffrey Kirk Blackburn. September 18, 1988.
Something's
different here. Everybody's still sad. I'm not crying anymore. Why is that? I'm
still supposed to be crying. I poke my mom. The funeral director tells me to
stop. She's praying. I don't want him to tell me what to do. I want to talk to
my mom.

6 comments:
You were such an amazing writing then as you are now.
So sorry for your families loss.
Sending hugs.
So sorry for the loss of your nephew.
Such amazing writing at a young age showing the emotion you experienced at that time.
That was beautiful and painful all at once. Prayers to you and your family today. Your nephew was (and is) SO loved!
Thank you all so much for your kind words and blog hugs!! I appreciate you!
That was so beautiful and heart wrenching. My mom had a stillborn when I was 5,those losses just never seem to leave you.
Post a Comment