Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Light at the End of the Funnel

You guys!!! I normally talk about books on the Saturday 6, but today is a special day, so we're talking books mid-week!

Before I tell you about the book, I have to tell you about the author, because he is my brother-in-law and very dear to my heart. He and my sister married when I was a second grader, so he's pretty much been part of our family as far back as my memories go.
I simply cannot say enough about how much I respect him and have learned from him over these 30+ years we've been family. He has listened to more than his share of sad Bekah woes (back in the single days), offered helpful advice - even when it was hard advice, and encouraged me on my own walk with the Lord.

When Ryan and I started dating, Jeff happened to be in town for a weekend and Ryan made an appointment with him to talk about our relationship and seek his opinion and advice on our future together. I knew they knew each other, and I couldn't imagine Jeff not liking Ryan or thinking this relationship was a bad idea, but when Ryan called after they were done, I eliminated all small talk and said, "What did he say? Is he okay with us?" (And then Ryan pulled a prank and told me Jeff said NO! I about cried!)

Jeff performed our wedding ceremony and has been a huge encouragement to us as a couple in all the days that have followed since.

But aside from this important role he has played in our lives, Jeff is probably at the top of the list of most sincere Christ-followers I know. He's a minister in the Mennonite Church, but denominational boundaries aside, his highest goal is to seek the Lord with all his heart and live a life that pleases God. And while he does teach that through his work at the church, he also lives it out every day, even when people aren't watching.

And that closeness with the Lord was what carried him through the devastating EF5 tornado that claimed his home, church, and town ten years ago next month. If you've been a longtime reader of this blog, you remember that back in 2007, I shared dozens of posts about this horrific tornado that swept through southwestern Kansas late on a Friday night. But I could only share as a terrified family member, 850 miles away, wondering what was happening and how to help.

Jeff can share as a person who was there in the midst of the storm and in its aftermath. And he has done just that in the publishing of his first book, Light at the End of the Funnel. (Don't you just adore that title?)

Jeff and I are kindred spirits when it comes to processing our life through the written word. I have always loved his writing style, and over the years, we've had many good conversations about writing, journaling, and our mutual love of the written word. (Our spouses are grateful we understand each other that way and they are spared such conversations. Ha!)

I've always known Jeff did some journaling about this experience, but as all wise writers know, you shouldn't try to write publicly about something you're still too close to emotionally. You need some distance and perspective to write well, and for this last decade, he's still been too close. It wasn't time. But late last year, he came to me with the news that he thought it might be time. He bravely shared his initial manuscript with me, and I eagerly read it.

I shared my thoughts and he sent a second draft, which I also eagerly read. And the next time I saw the manuscript, it was neatly bound inside a cover with his name! (Can you tell I'm a wee bit proud of him?)

This book is not a how-to of tornado survival. It is, in part, a chronicle of that night in May 2007 and the weeks of cleanup and rebuilding that followed. The story itself is interesting to read, but he goes past just story. The book is centered around his study of Psalm 91 and how the verses in that psalm prepared him (though he didn't realize it at the time) for what was to come, carried him through the literal storm, and shaped his spirit in the difficult weeks that followed.

Even if you've never been through a tornado, there is so much to learn within these nearly 100 pages. Because of course, a tornado is but one kind of storm in life. We are each presented with storms and asked to trust the Lord to use them to shape us. I believe Jeff did that well. And his offerings are a gentle teaching. Not condemning. Not preachy. Just a humble conversation from his heart to yours that can guide you on your own journey.

In the back, he does have a few resources that could be helpful to you on a literal level, if you live in an area prone to tornadoes. Ideas of what to pack in a storm bag and ideas of how to help others in a very practical way when you hear of areas ravaged by tornadoes. And in that respect, he also leads by example throughout the book of things that are and are not helpful to say and do when interacting with folks affected by natural disasters of any kind.

This book is relatively short and an easy read, so if you're not a thick-novel-lover, this is a perfect size for you. His writing style is conversational and easy to read; he's a good story-teller. I hope you'll check it out. It's available here on Amazon.

Jeff, I'm proud of you for being brave enough to share your story and heart, and I am grateful for the bigger-picture life example you shared through the experience you faced. Congratulations on your first book (please write more!) and a job well done! 

3 comments:

Maria Rineer said...

I do love the title of his book. I'll plan to read his book. I'm not letting myself read for pleasure or do much of anything fun until I finish our taxes :(.

Paula Alexandra Santos said...

We were in Miami in 1998, when hurricane George hit Florida. We went to Orlando, where the wind was a little less violent, but even so, when we came back to Miami, we saw the destruction it caused.
I'm glad your family was safe asnd that your brother-in-law, is a Godly man! Once more, God teaches us thru His word!
:)

Bekah said...

Maria - OOOOHHHHH Taxes! I do not envy you there. AT ALL.

Paula - Isn't it unbelievable how destructive these storms can be? So scary!