I've been so excited about the arrival of spring, because all my favorite trees have been flowering in their respective white and pink blossoms, and of course, the air is getting warmer, which is amazing beyond words.
A smattering of plants for the window box (which to be fair, is really a railing box, but since that's not a real term, we'll go with window box) and some petunias for the front of the little red wagon I converted into a planter last year.
I'm not a plant guru. In fact, when Ryan and I collapsed on the porch after our run last night, I looked in horror at the little yellow pansy plant our friend Ronda brought to us last week. I've been watering it (regularly, I thought), but it was all limp in its pot with the petals face-down on the table. I sprang out of my chair (as fast as my post-run jello-legs would spring) and watered it. For the rest of the evening, I kept one eye on that plant and watched with intense relief as the little stems slowly lifted to attention once again.
Yes, plants are not my thing. I love them, but I have to keep on a strict maintenance schedule to make sure I don't kill them.
But despite my limitations in knowing what looks good where, I love our little limited landscaping. I love the little red wagon, the various planter pots, and the giant ferns that remind me of palm trees. I love the small handful of statues and stones we've been gifted, because they represent stories of our life together and the people who have invested in us. This is what I love about our little spot of landscaping.
My sisters are great with flowers (like they're great with laundry and many other things that are not my strength). But I'm not going to let my limitations keep me from loving my pretty little plants. I'm going to keep going back to the store until I find enough things to fill the naked dirt of the planters, and I'm going to do my best to get regular drinks of water to each of them before they follow the pansy's lead and go petal-down in the dirt.
Maybe plants are not your thing either...or maybe you're afraid to try. Give it a shot! You just never know. You might not be hired as chief landscaper of a major corporation, but you can sit back and enjoy the beauty in front of you. I know I sure plan to!

4 comments:
I love plants, flowers and gardening. I'm not particularly "good" with plants just as you perceive you aren't gifted in that area either. But, enjoy them I do and I try my best. It sounds like you're a conscientious gardener if nothing else (keeping your eye on your pansy all evening shows dedication and care :)). I'm sure your landscaping will look gorgeous.
I miss spring gardening with city apartment living! I love the little wagon!!
Maria - That pansy scared me to death! I could not figure out how it had been FINE a few hours earlier and then looked completely dead!
Tamar - I love it too! IT was mine when I was little. It's too rusty to be safely used for kids now, so I repurposed it. :)
I so understand this dilemma as I love the flowers but don't understand their routine. Each time someone gave me a plant for the office, I whispered to the plant "good luck; I'll water you every Friday whether or not you need it". To my utter amazement, they all survived and had to be brought home when I retired. However, they haven't done as well at my home so I'm back to confusion. Oh well, keep trying cuz the lovely flowers are so worth it. Lois
Post a Comment