Sunday, November 17, 2024

Sunday Sentiments: The Stories of Christmas

 


I spent Friday night and yesterday working on decorating our home for Christmas. I’d call it about 75% finished, and I had the best time putting it all together.

            While I wanted to knock out the project as quickly as possible, I also wanted to take my time and appreciate item I pulled from a tub. I wanted to sit with the stories of the pieces that have come to be part of our Christmas story.

            The little “Narnia lamp” Ryan surprised me with last year after he heard me talk about how much I loved it. He sneaked back to buy it and set it up in our living room for me to find.

            The nativity scene I bought around fifteen years ago when I traveled to Kansas to visit my sister for Thanksgiving. That was one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever, and getting to shop small on Black Friday and find that adorable little nativity was a great memory.

            The picture frames featuring our official Christmas photo from each year of our marriage – with all the hair colors and various pets making appearances from year to year.

            The blue ornaments I bought at garage sale prices from the Gaither store 20 or more years ago. Best low-cost investment ever. They’ve served me well through many themes and many houses.

            The snowman canvas I painted with my friend Marie years ago. We did a little class together to celebrate her birthday, and I think of her every year when I hang it up.

            The cement Christmas trees gifted to me by my former roommate, Angela, shortly before she died. Every year, when I display them, I honor the promise I made to her when she handed them to me.

            Sweet little Braeya Jo’s stocking. I never liked it, but I never found another one I liked better, and she didn’t care. Sitting under the tree, on her stocking, was one of her favorites, and I miss seeing her curled up under the lights this year.

            My beloved Adore-naments tree with all the names of Jesus on the ornaments. It’s not Christmas until that one is up and complete.

            There are more stories to come, but these were the stories of my weekend. This little hodge-podge makes it Christmas, and I’m so glad it’s coming together!

No comments: