Sunday, November 10, 2024

Sunday Sentiments: It's Just How He Works

 


Earlier this week, a friend of mine sent a text to encourage me. (Aren’t those the best texts ever?) Included in her personal thoughts and wisdom, she shared with me how Psalm 116 had been so meaningful to her lately and shared a particular phrase from the Psalm that God had been using to challenge and grow her faith.

            I grabbed my Bible and started reading. The words fell over my soul and were such a comfort to me! But as I finished the final words, I wondered about the phrase she shared, because I hadn’t remembered seeing it. I know that sometimes from version to version of the Bible, a phrase can be worded differently, but usually they’re similar enough to be recognizable. I went back over the entire Psalm and watched closely for the words she had shared.

            Nothing.

            Confused, I went back to her text and only then did I see that I had misread what she wrote. It was Psalm 16, not 116, that she wanted me to read.

            Oops.

            I made my way to Psalm 16 and found that I had previously studied this one and done quite a bit of underlining! I read it over again (including her phrase!) and let those words fall over me, too.

            The whole thing might have been a mistake on my part, but it sure wasn’t a mistake on God’s part. He urged her to send me His Word of encouragement and then He doubled the blessing when I received it, because I ended up with two Psalms to study and draw from, rather than just one.

            I texted my friend back to tell her how God took her words and multiplied them!

            It’s just how He works – turning mistakes into blessings and doubling the opportunity to learn from His Word!

            PS – I hope you read both Psalms; they’re so good!

No comments: