Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Learning

Ryan and I just wrapped up teaching the Bible study we started last fall, and I have to say it's been a really enjoyable experience! Everyone in the study was connected to Ryan's workplace somehow, and it was exciting for me to get to know these people better, make new friendships, and deepen existing friendships. It's been a good discipline to study the book of Acts (one more shout-out to Erica Wiggenhorn's study called An Unexplainable Life), and a great opportunity to hear what everyone else in the study learned along the way.

The work God has called me to do pushes me to learn this way pretty much constantly. I'm always reading and studying so I can turn around and teach, whether through speaking or writing. I like it! It's a bonus to get to learn about God while preparing to teach others more about Him, too! Win/win!

But sometimes teachers need classroom time, too.

A few days ago, I received an unexpected email from friend, and her church was starting a women's Bible study, so she asked if I'd like to join up. Not teach. Just join.

Oh. Yes.

It took me all of about 3.5 seconds to make that decision! The day of the first study, Ryan asked if I was looking forward to it, and I couldn't believe just how much I actually was looking forward to it. I wanted to go learn from others. Participate when I felt led, but mostly just sit quietly and learn.

On the way to the study, I stopped for a gallon (okay, slight exaggeration) of iced tea so I could be fully hydrated and caffeinated for my time of learning, and when I walked into the classroom, I found a fresh, unopened workbook and a box of colored pencils waiting at my seat.

My nerdiness has surpassed even what I imagined, because those two things pretty much made my entire day. I pulled out my Bible and journal, put my phone away, and for a solid hour, I practiced inductive Bible study methods in my new little workbook and scribbled note after note of wisdom from the ladies in the room.

I threw out a couple of answers when I had them, but mostly I drank it all in. I have missed being a participant, and it was such a joy to have that chance for a little bit of time. I was the youngest person in that room, and I wanted to learn what the others had to say. I wanted to hear what they'd observed from studying words they'd been reading longer than I have.

(Know what else helped? The facilitator had done her homework. She came in with her reference books and notes, her knowledge, her questions, and that helped create a great atmosphere of learning!)

I'm so grateful someone thought to reach out and invite me. I'm so glad the time slot worked. I'm so glad I get to learn from women I don't normally get to interact with, because that's a whole wealth of untapped wisdom for me! And mostly I'm grateful I like to learn. I hope that never goes away. (And also - where was that hunger in most of my high school classes? Missing!!!)

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I love the line that even teachers need classroom time!

Maria Rineer said...

I'm starting a new study in April and can't wait... Glad you were able to learn so much.

Sheryl said...

I'm on week 2 of "Discerning The Voice of God" by Priscilla Shirer. It's a great one too. Love and miss you!

Callie said...

What a great thing to join as a participant too! And iced tea is definitely a must for being in "class". :-)

Karen in Southern Maryland said...

I definitely get the nerdiness thing! My favorite part of going back to school was the fresh, new school supplies - pencils, pens, colored pencils, crayons, binders, notebooks! I still love wandering around the office supply stores.

Karen

Bekah said...

Tamar -I thought of you when I wrote that!

Maria - which one are you doing?

Sheryl - Oh Priscilla is so good!! I'm glad you're doing one of hers! Love and miss you back!

Callie - Normally it would be coffee, but I was hot and needed to cool down!

Karen - We are twinsies! One year (when I was in high school) my neighbor showed up with ALL the school supplies. Paper, pencils, folders, highlighters, EVERYTHING. I was in such heaven. I smile just thinking about it!