My mom has pointed out that for purchasing a move-in ready house, we sure have done a lot of work on it.
I can't argue.
Mostly because I'm too tired from all the work we've done. {smirky smile}
Yesterday I set up office-camp at the kitchen table, my view into the living room obstructed by a line of potted plants and unplugged lamps while two guys hauled in heavy rolls of carpet and fitted them to our floors.
It's the last of the projects. For now. Ryan promises.
So while I sat at the table, toggling from tab to tab reading tweets and posts and pins, scribbling notes and taking breaks to underline meaningful words in this week's book, I thought about our beautiful move-in ready house that we have entirely overhauled so that it looks nothing like it did when we bought it.
We'll blame it partially on Ryan being a project junkie, but I think there's a deeper, truer reason behind all the changes.
When we walked into this house for the first time on January 28th, we walked in for fun. We weren't here to make a commitment. We weren't here to make memories, and my lack of photos documenting the day are proof of that. We were here to enjoy looking at a house, imagine ourselves in a space other than the one we'd always known together, and dream about a future day when something like this could be ours.
We had no idea that less than two months later, this very house WOULD be ours. The house, we declared when we saw it, was perfect. Wouldn't have to do a thing. Totally inhabitable just as it was. Nothing garish. Nothing broken.
But when we walked in on March 21, we saw the bare bones of potential. With all the things removed that made it the home of those who lived here before, we saw a canvas of a home.
We added and removed to better fit together as home and owners. We created a space that looked like us, and that took work. And along the way, we learned that some of the things that looked fine when dressed up for the ones who lived here before, actually needed some tender care before being redressed for our home.
So we did that, too. The carpet was one of those things. We hadn't planned to replace it. The carpet here before was not that old and a good brand that advertised resistance to staining. But in our every day, it didn't do that. No matter how much we cleaned or what we used, it showed dirt and resurrected old dirt. It tarnished the whole house, so we did more work to pull out everything we just moved in and have the carpet replaced with something fresh and decidedly more us.
It reminded me of how we see each other in this marriage we live every day. How we came together in good shape {well, I was not in literal good shape, but you get my point} and we loved each other for the people that we were and there really wasn't a need to change anything.
And then we married and we began to see how additions here and subtractions there and changes to this or that could make us fit better together as a couple. So we worked at it, changing and trying until we found what worked for us. And along that process, we uncovered things about ourselves we thought were okay until we realized they really weren't. And we didn't want them to tarnish the whole marriage, so we did the work to pull out everything that didn't work about those parts of life and replace it all with something to push us closer to being healthier, holier people.
We loved who we were, but we also saw the potential for more and we pushed toward that potential.
That's a healthy life, I think. The life that can see good in what is, but can see better in what can be.
6 hours ago


6 comments:
I love how you're making a move in ready house your home!
(-:
Wow....I LOVE this! You are right on with the comparison to marriage!
There is a quote I love by Ralph Waldo Emerson where he says... "People only see what they are prepared to see." I have always thought that fits how we view things currently but your post made me think of that in a new light. Can we prepare ourselves to see a different future, a different house, a different me? Then when we envision that can we then make the proper moves to bring about that which we "see" for the future. It is easy to only see a future in terms of the present where things really do not change, where we rest in the comfortableness of things not changing. We really need to look forward and ask where do we want things to be. Where do we want our house to be, our physical well being, our spiritual well being and so forth. We then need to prepare ourselves for the uncomfortable period of making those things happen. Make a plan and then work the plan. Redo a room, redo a habit, change a characteristic.
Bekah, thank you for the comment you left on my blog. I guess it is time that I come out of hiding and admit that I am a faithful blog reader of yours. This comment probably belongs on your "anniversary" post from Tuesday, but better late than never. You have been one of my greatest inspirations when it came to starting my own blog. I hope you don't mind that I mimicked one of your writing formats, your "About Us" section really helped me formulate my own.
I would say that we have many similar interests, which is probably why I cannot stay away. I love that you and Ryan have customized your move-in ready house in such a special way. Our house needed absolutely nothing done to it either, but we gained so much joy from doing so. I like how you applied it to marriage. I pray for the willingness to let God take control of customizing my marriage to His liking, when it is out of my control.
You are truly making a difference with your gift of writing, and your words have touched me in so many ways. I really appreciate your marriage example and the love you have for your husband. I pray that I can inspire a young girl as much as you have inspired me.
Blessings,
Hannah
What a great post! And how very true of marriage.
What a great post! And how very true of marriage.
Post a Comment