Saturday, December 11, 2010

IWU Staff Council Luncheon

Shortly after my book came out, my friend Bev asked if I'd like to speak at the IWU Staff Council Luncheon in December. I said yes. I did not know there would be 150 people there. Oh my WORD!

So...I donned a festivish outfit and gathered all my courage...and tried to eat. (Operative word: tried.)

Some of my buddies! The lovely ladies of the Business Office.

In line...to try to eat. First in line, actually. That's kind of fun.


DESSERT.

And then I gave a speech. Don't you wish you could have been there???



This is a nicer version of the speech. Y'all...I cried. Right smack in the middle of it, I cried. I knew it was going to happen. I rehearsed it last night and had tears in my eyes then...and knew I was in trouble. So when I got up to speak, I just came clean about that. Told them there was a distinct possibility I would cry, and I'm not a pretty crier. I look like Lucille Ball. And just as I suspected...waaahhhhh.
I spoke about Simeon, which is the chapter of the book that has resonated the most with me from the moment I wrote it. Reading about God's promise and how it came to pass after all the waiting...moved me.

After I spoke, I had a little signing!

Book signing!





These people were so gracious. You know...after I melted down on them and all. So so sweet.



I was beyond nervous, but so thankful to have the opportunity to share!


Tomorrow morning, provided we do not get 4112 inches of snow, I'll be in the morning service at South Marion Friends to share with them. Maybe I'll give the Simeon thing another shot and see if I can do it tear-free this time.

No comments: