Friday, July 14, 2017

Fake Fair Night

This week has been our county fair week, and we do so love going to the fair! I'd been looking forward to it so much (cue the mushrooms and elephant ears - separately of course).

My calendar was marked for us to go Monday and Tuesday evenings so I could be home Wednesday night before leaving for the conference on Thursday.

Well then Monday night brought tornadoes to our part of the state, and we elected to stay home. It was a good thing we did because they ended up shutting down the entire fairgrounds.
We checked the forecast again on Tuesday and it said there was a good chance of rain that night, but none on Wednesday. So we stayed home Tuesday evening, which became perfectly bright and sunny. And then on Wednesday? Deluge.

It was still raining when Ryan got off work, and more than just rain, it was storming. I don't mind being rained on a little, but I have a healthy respect for actual storms. Being out in an open field wasn't appealing. So we made the decision to stay home, which made me cry and feel horrible. First year I've missed the fair - ever, I think!

(And while it didn't become a nice evening, the rain did clear out. But by that time, we decided we'd already committed to not going.)

So here was our plan B sort of night.

Okay, first of all, can we talk about this picture? Doesn't it look like Ryan is missing his front teeth? We laughed SO HARD over it that I sent it to my family and said, "If you're looking for Christmas gift ideas for Ryan, add the two front teeth to the list," and my mom really thought he'd knocked out his teeth! No. Just sadness over the loss of our beloved fair. 

Obviously the only comfort that can replace the loss of fair food is: Sonic.
Too bad I didn't get a picture of Ryan's food!

I'm KIDDING! This was both of ours!

After Sonic, we had to swing by the store for me to pick up a couple of last minute supplies for the conference. I didn't hate the comfort of the school supplies section. This PENCIL!!!!!
And Ryan found a stapler he could appreciate:
In amusing news, we ran into my friend Amber, who actually usually goes to the fair with us. So it really did start to feel like a good substitute!

Ryan thought a Blizzard would help bring further comfort. Who am I to argue?
And then we pulled out Mo, curled up and watched Hidden Figures, which we'd been meaning to see for a while.
Even though it was really sad to miss the fair, I think it also may have been good to have a night at home alone together before the conference. I appreciated that time with Ryan!!

Hey, fair? I'm coming for you next year! I PROMISE!!!!!!





5 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh bummer!! Sorry you had to miss it this year ):

Shari said...

Your substitute fair date sounds like a winner to me!! Love the pictures! How could Ryan hide those front teeth SO WELL?!! LOL!! Hope you enjoy the conference!

Maria Rineer said...

You could go to another county's fair- one that hasn't occurred yet (obviously!). I know it wouldn't be the same but I'm sure any one that you'd go to would have elephant ears and other fair delicacies :). Our county fair is next week if you want to take a little road trip to Ohio :).

Anonymous said...

what a fun night! and hey you could hit another county fair on a county date!! I think you already did Huntington County... BUT our fair is awesome!! Best elephant ears!! and chocolate milk shakes at the dairy bar. SO SO YUMMY. If you do need a "fair fix" please come to Huntington! It runs I think from July 23-27!

XOXO

Lori said...

Still haven't seen Hidden Figures. Would I like it?