Thursday, January 28, 2016

Throwback Thursday

I thought it was time for some good old fashioned fun here on the blog!

Ryan hauled some old yearbooks out of the attic this week, and I thought you might like to see the Shaffers of the mid-90's.

You might notice there are more pictures of Ryan on this page than there are of me - because, well, I was invisible. LOL! Ryan has never been invisible. He did, however, have hair once upon a time.
Yours truly: the official junior year photo. Were it not for the split on the bottom row, that would have been a perfect bangs day. My hair STILL splits right there.
Same year: Ryan's sophomore photo. If you cover up his hair, he still pretty much looks the same, doesn't he? More distinguished now, of course.
Can you find him in the picture???

Apparently the only way to get your picture in the yearbook is to loiter in the halls when you should be studying in the library. No one ever came to the library to get pictures. This I know. ;)
I'm sure you recognize the nose. This was in the era of my first {and only} perm.

Senior year photo. {They actually took these at the end of our junior year, so that's why the perm is missing.} I hadn't discovered eyebrow waxing yet. Or eyeliner.
Same year - Ryan's junior photo. Isn't he cute? {Hey look! His hair splits too! I think shaving it entirely was sort of a drastic fix....} Just kiddin'!
This one is a little harder to see - but can you find him? Last chance!
Spring musical. I was in the audience. Ryan was on the stage. Raise your hand if you're surprised!
So many things about this picture. First of all - adorable. Secondly - we are still friends with this whole group. {Helpful since one of them is Ryan's cousin.} PETER!!!! You've grown up so much!!! This is from the variety show, and they went on to compete at the state fair. We have that on video.

{INSERT COMMENTARY FROM RYAN REGARDING THE ABOVE PHOTO: "We were robbed!! To this day, I still believe we should have come home from the State Fair with the ultimate crown, as we were the most popular group there, and yet were snubbed by the judges. I'm not bitter or anything. I'm just sayin'. Okay, maybe a little bitter, but just sayin'. It's the truth." End rant.} 
Still friends with this crew too - more spring musical fun.
Ryan's senior picture. I was in college by this time, looking absolutely NO less awkward than I did in high school. I didn't come into my own until pretty much my thirties. Or wait. Have I yet?? :)
Ryan's senior year - goofing off with friends. The same year? I was buried in the college library trying to figure out how to not lose my academic scholarship.


Ahhhhh a fun trip down memory lane. A couple of crazy kids who ended up finding each other many years later!


9 comments:

Tamar SB said...

These are so great!!!!

Maria Rineer said...

Great pictures! I don't think most girls used eyeliner in high school back in the day- now, most seventh graders (at least in my daughter's school) use it everyday. Ryan does look almost EXACTLY the same now as he did then except for the hair, obviously!!

Mark Allman said...

That was fun.

Anonymous said...

these are so cute!
and Bekah, you were never invisible even if you think you were.
love you :)
happy thursday!
XOXO

Odie Boggs said...

So fun! I can see the Bekah we know now trying to come out.

Anonymous said...

You weren't invisible to me, Bekah. As a matter of fact, I hae a picture of you in a bonnet at Melinda's going away party in 8th grade... Now where did I put that?

Christina said...

I love the pictures! Ryan does look the same, just more of an adult than a boy now. But you have changed so much!!! I remember you looking like those pictures, but now you are so polished and sophisticated. But inside, you're still the same sweet person you always were.

And I too have seen that video of Ryan and Peter...they were robbed, I'm certain!

Bekah said...

Tamar - Thanks! Hope you got a giggle!

Maria - You are probably right. I was not allowed to wear makeup at all when I lived at home, so the teen years were a bit rough. {Especially when I was not gifted with a clear complexion.} I often wished I could just wear a little SOMETHING to help. I was such a project for my college roommates!

Mark - Glad you enjoyed! I had fun with it!!

Polly - Perhaps the invisibility was in some ways a blessing that I couldn't see. Maybe it saved me some heartache!

Odie - She wanted to but had no idea how. That was SUCH a process.

Jenny - I was trying to figure out at the start of your comment who you were - but the going away party told me! I have those pictures! Yes, we tried on her bonnet!! That was such a fun night even if we were all burned to a crisp from being outside all day! So good to hear from you!

Christina - I hoped you would see this! I think I'll frame your comment so I have that polished and sophisticated part in writing. HA!! :) Thanks for the encouragement, seriously! And I'm so glad you've seen that video too. It is priceless. Peter looks so baby-faced here!!! He's come a long way!

Natasha said...

You are so brave to post pictures of you in high school. That shows how much confidence you have now. I felt pretty invisible in high school too, if that helps.

And Ryan looks exactly the same -- except for the hair!