6 hours ago
Friday, January 29, 2016
Eternal Dividends
A couple of days ago, I scrolled through Facebook and saw a picture of a friend {acquaintance, really} who held a check in her hands - the first money she earned from selling an article. My heartbeat quickened for her, excited that she had the opportunity to write for pay, and just as suddenly, the quickening reflected jealousy instead of excitement. For half a second, I wondered why she had the double blessing of working a full time job for pay and being paid to write on the side. Writing is my job now, and it's still usually a volunteer effort.
I shook it off, reminding myself that I write because writing is IN me, and I can't help it. Money isn't my motivation - truly. She deserved her blessing, and I would be happy for her, I concluded. But then the next morning, I awakened to an email {so graciously written} from an organization I'd contacted about freelance work. They told me they only work with writers they know, wished me well, and said goodbye.
That little jealousy pang welled up again and I mumbled something to the Lord about why I can't know the "right" people.
Ryan and I sat down to do our devotions just moments later. We've been reading Beth Moore's book 90 Days with Jesus the One and Only, and among the words for that day, these:
"Every hour you do your job as working for the Lord gets punched on a time clock in Heaven. You get paid by God Himself for the hours you work as unto the Lord...Our future inheritance is real, and it far exceeds minimum wage. As you partner with Christ at your job, you will be more efficient. No matter whether your new efficiency increases your earthly dividends or not, it most certainly will increase your eternal dividends, where moth and rust cannot destroy or thieves break in and steal."
I think you can understand why and how I was appropriately disciplined.
It's true. Every word Beth said is true. If we are working for the Lord - in whatever kind of work we do - what we do matters, and it pays off in ways we cannot see. {And by that, I mean it doesn't involve a dollar sign.} Even if we ARE getting paid richly in money for the work we do, the most important payment is the part we can't see - the eternal part.
We work on this fairness system we've concocted for ourselves, and we get understandably frustrated when other people "cut" in line ahead of what we're due. How much better to retrain our minds to remember that the eternal perspective is the most important.
It's a hard lesson to learn, and I'm not sure I arrived at it with any particular grace this week, but I am grateful God was quick with the right words. {As usual.} And lest you think otherwise by my potentially bumbling attempt to express myself today, I want you to know how profoundly grateful I am to have the opportunity to write. God is good. I'm thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
We all struggle with that system. In Judaism we call it our evil inclination, the part of us that judges and goes "hey not fair!"
Your time will come - you are an amazing writer!!
God made you exactly how He wanted you- He gave you your unique talents, personality, preferences, (gum hating, coffee loving :)) etc. You are obedient to Him and seek his will. You are succeeding and I think your eternal dividends increase daily.
Tamar - Thank you so much! I have found it interesting in the last week or so that the things I wrote about in the project I just finished, things about waiting for a husband and all the hurt and "unfairness" that came with THAT seem to be morphing into principles I need to know in living other parts of life now! It's all one big cycle, isn't it??
Maria - You made me giggle with the gum hating part. It's true! You're definitely correct - the successes need to be measured on God's scale! And life is indeed good.
Wow, spiritual spanking for me too! Thank you for sharing, God used your blessing to bless me :)
Spiritual spanking! I love that term! :) Excited for your new blog. Way to throw down the security blanket, Amie!
Your writings have blessed SO many in SO many ways that if you were getting paid, you'd most likely be a millionaire!! :) And, in God's eyes you ARE!!
Comparison is the thief of joy, for sure. Thank you for the reminder that what we do has eternal significance, even when it doesn't feel like it has any earthly significance. I've been feeling very stuck lately and that what I'm doing doesn't matter, because it's not what I feel like I was put here to do long-term. I need to remember that we are all here for such a time as this, and what I'm doing on the daily DOES matter.
This is a great reminder, and jealousy is definitely something I struggle with when it comes to writing, especially when things don't go as I'd hoped. Just this week I spent some time praying and asking God to help me not to be jealous of what he's doing in other writers' lives.
You are a great writer Bekah. Your words resonate in my heart months after reading them. God called you to this He will use those words in His timing. Look at Ryan, So worth the wait!!! God's timing is never ours. He will (already has) use your words to heal!
Love you!
Shari - You always bless me with your words! Thank you!!
Erica - You absolutely matter and I know the season you're in now is building you in ways you can't see for seasons yet to come. Excited to see how those seasons unfold!
Marissa - I appreciate these words from you! I appreciate your writing talent and the investment you've made in reading my work, too! Praying right now for more opened doors for you!
Christy - You are such a blessing to me! Thanks for investing your time in me and for encouraging me with my words! :)
Bekah, this is such a necessary post for me. I sometimes feel like my contributions at church aren't as worthy as those which others make. I need to remind myself of the eternal dividends. Even if human recognition doesn't come in my lifetime, it DOESN'T MATTER. That's not what I should be working towards. God's recognition is what is important.
Thank you so much for sharing this lesson. It obviously wasn't meant for you alone.
Post a Comment