Thursday, August 29, 2013

Life Well Lived

It always grips my heart when someone dies unexpectedly. Death is always hard...but when it happens to someone we perceive to have so much life left to live...it just seems to squeeze the heart harder.

We had one of those tragedies here in our town a couple of weeks ago. A 55 year old man was digging a trench on his property, along with the help of a friend of his - who is just about my age - and something went wrong. the trench collapsed and buried the man up to his chest. His friend jumped in to try to help him and he became trapped, too. He was able to call for help, but by the time help arrived, the man was unresponsive.

His name was Ross and he worked at IWU when I was a student there. I knew who he was and always found him to be a kind and pleasant man...but I didn't know him closely. When I read, his obituary, though, this sentence pierced right through me:

"Ross's journey of pursuing and delighting our Lord with a contagious spirit rubbed off on all of us." {quote by Dr. Jo Anne Lyon}

What an amazing life synopsis. Though he had many accomplishments and achievements...this outweighed them. 

To be known as the one who pursues and delights the Lord with a contagious spirit...

...I ache for that to be my life. 

And to be honest, I think I do fairly well at the pursuit. Ryan and I talk about that frequently...how we want to find Sunday School classes and small groups that pursue the Lord. But I am not sure I delight the Lord.

But oh...how I want to. How I want to be a person that makes Him smile. That makes Him glad He dreamed me up and breathed life into me. 

I can't say it better than Dr. Lyon...so I leave you to ponder what she said and what it means for you.


Ross’s journey of pursuing and delighting our Lord with a contagious spirit rubbed off on all of us. - See more at: http://goshennews.com/obituaries/x1253323950/Ross-E-Hoffman#sthash.7RVKXkoe.dpuf
Ross’s journey of pursuing and delighting our Lord with a contagious spirit rubbed off on all of us. - See more at: http://goshennews.com/obituaries/x1253323950/Ross-E-Hoffman#sthash.7RVKXkoe.dpuf

2 comments:

Natasha said...

It is the "contagious spirit" part which is making me think...

Bekah said...

ME TOO