Friday, October 20, 2023

Fun on Friday

 


It’s been a while since I wrote a “Fun on Friday” post, but I need a little extra dose of fun, so I’m going to do it today! I found a list of “unconventional” questions to ask someone to get to know them better, and I agree…they are unconventional! But they’re fun, so I will answer some today.

Do you believe in ghosts – why or why not? I don’t believe in ghosts in the way this question asks. But I do believe, because Scripture talks about it, that there are spiritual forces heavily at work in our world in ways we can’t see. I absolutely believe that, and I believe their ability to create chaos is very real.

Can you write in cursive? I can, and I still forget there are people who can’t! I remember one day early in our WillowBridge career, one of our tenants brought me a card she had received in the mail. She said, “Can you read this to me? I don’t know how.” I am not sure where schools stand on teaching cursive right now. I know it went away, but then I thought some of them brought it back. I would absolutely teach my kids to read and write in cursive – if I had kids!

If you could live in a movie, which one would it be, and why? Anne of Green Gables, of COURSE! Knowing my luck, I’d end up cast as Rachel Lynde, but that aside, I would dearly love to wear the puffed sleeves and live by the Lake of Shining Waters.

Do you sing in the shower? I do not, but I sing LOUD AND PROUD in the car. (Only when I’m in there alone.) The shower is my super quiet time. I do my best thinking in the shower, so I try not to have any music playing to distract me from my thoughts. But in the car? I am an award-winning artist.

How many hours do you get to the airport before a flight? Usually two and a half – for most airports. Things always go wrong for me, so I want to allow plenty of time for that to happen. I think the only two airports I’m comfortable with a closer arrival time are Fort Wayne and Wichita. Both are smaller airports. Having said all that, I still hate flying, so this isn’t something I encounter often. We are coming up on five years since our last flight.

What’s the first thing you do in the morning? See if I have enough time for one more snooze. I typically set my alarm ½ hour to 45 minutes ahead of my last-chance getting up time, because I have to wake up oh-so-slowly. When I realize I’ve snoozed my last snooze, I’m very sad.

What’s the last thing you do at night? Charge my Fitbit. Mine is pretty old and won’t hold a charge for a full day anymore. (It used to easily last a week.) So every night, when I know I don’t have any additional measurable steps in me, I take it off to charge it. I know I need to replace it, but I’d rather buy scrapbooks!

At a party, where can someone find you? Well, I don’t go to many parties, but if I did, you’d probably find me hanging onto Ryan, because when I get in very people-y rooms, my introvert comes out in full force. He’s a natural, so I stick with him.

Who would play you in the movie of your life? Reese Witherspoon, I hope!

What is your most controversial opinion about something mundane? I think Ryan would say it’s about backing into parking spaces. If you aren’t driving an ambulance, fire truck, or police car, I see no need to back in. I’ve been known to get pretty fired up about it. Ryan sees no reason (ever) to NOT back in, so this controversial opinion gets mentioned in friendly banter quite often.

What’s the weirdest thing you do when you’re alone? Read homeschool curriculum. I could seriously read it for days. The wannabe teacher in me has never ever gone away, and curriculum fascinates me to no end. I read through and pick what I would use if I taught. This actually gives me a great conversational skill when talking to homeschool moms, but they also think it's weird that I’m able to have this talk with them. (I am still pretty excited, though, that one of my friends ended up picking my top recommendation to homeschool her five children!)

What’s your opinion on modern art? I don’t usually understand it. I’m okay with that.

What’s the most ridiculous outfit you’ve ever worn? Ryan will crack up when he sees this one. Back in junior high, I went to a bridal shower wearing a cross stitched sweatshirt tucked into a denim skirt with a belt over it – and coral dress shoes that matched nothing else on the outfit. Is it any wonder I did not become a fashion influencer?

Would you rather have your dishes or your clothes be magically clean? Ha! Ryan I and I JUST talked about this! I haattttttttttttttttte doing dishes, and he doesn’t mind it, so he washes them. (I do unload the dishwasher most of the time.) I am always apologizing for my lack of dishwashing love, and this week he said to me, “Hey! Listen. Every time I open the closet and drawers, they’re magically full. I have magic drawers, and you have magic cabinets. We’re even.” I can live with that!

Do you like to make plans ahead of time or be spontaneous? While I don’t hate spontaneity entirely, I am a plan-ahead girl through and through. I have a lot of friends who plan last minute, and I always feel guilty for saying no, but it’s a documented fact that most of the time, we are booked three months out. Not every single day. But a lot of them!

If you had to wear just one color for the rest of your life, what would it be? Probably some shade of blue or teal. I find I wear a lot of it and like how it looks.

What is the weirdest encounter you’ve had with a celebrity? Definitely meeting Denise Jones (from Point of Grace) in a church bathroom while wearing a Mickey costume and holding his head in my hands.

What’s the worst haircut you’ve ever had? I’ve had a handful of them, but I had a super short and kind of spikey phase right after college. It wasn’t the greatest.

What kind of driver are you? The most conservative and rule-following ever. Basically, you’d hate being stuck behind me.

What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on? (Ryan said this should be hard for me to answer because I've been on a lot of bad dates...and that's true! Clarification: none were with him.) I don’t want to be too specific, since you never know who might read, but I was set up once with a guy I had nothing in common with, and I spent the entire date wondering why in the WORLD my friend thought this was a good idea. I’m pretty sure he was thinking the same thing. We both bolted from that restaurant as soon as we inhaled the last of our food.

 

Hope you had fun reading along. Any fun tidbits from this list you’d like to share??

2 comments:

Tamar SB said...

So fun!
We still teach cursive in our 3rd grade!!

Anonymous said...

I need to know what Physical Science curriculum you would pick for a 9th grader? We are currently doing Science Shepherd but it is waaaay too easy and not nearly in-depth enough. I would be so forever grateful if you would share your opinion!!

Kelly