Saturday, October 12, 2019

The Saturday Six

One.

While I realize that not everyone loves fiction, I didn't realize there were such strong feelings against it from some who feel you should only read or study the Bible. This was an interesting post, I thought, from fiction writer Jody Hedlund (who also happens to be a friend of mine) in response to someone's remark. Jody always thinks things out so well, and I think her response is informative, kind, and worth looking at, regardless of whether or not you like fiction.

Two.

Callie is doing a series on memory making and keeping, and this week she had a post on how to take your own family photos. Ryan and I always have a photographer take our annual fall pictures (coming right up, actually!) but throughout the rest of the year, we take our own, with a blend of selfies, tripods, remotes, and timers. One of my friends actually asked us once if we have a photographer travel with us regularly to document for us, so we must be doing a decent job of photos! Anyway! Callie's post has some great tips, and if you have kids, you might find it especially helpful, because she has tips for employing their cooperation as well!

Three.

Jessica from The Mom Creative shared this post of her DIY Halloween costumes - and this was a theme I hadn't seen before! Every costume (for grownups and kids) was inspired by a board or card game. CUTE! I think the Operation Man and the Monopoly Man were my two favorites.

Four.

This popped up in my Pinterest feed this week, and I had to save it (and now share it with you) because I always need this kind of inspiration! A couple of years ago, Ryan's mom generously gifted me a vintage sled that was gathering dust in her storage area, and I was so excited, because I had always wanted one for my porch! But other than slapping a red bow on it, I really wasn't quite sure how to accessorize it. HERE ARE SOME GREAT IDEAS!!!

Five.

Now that I'm working with the women's ministry at church, I'm hyper-sensitive to fun ideas for gatherings, but I think this would work with ANY group. Teens, kids - basically any kind of human! A caramel apple nacho bar that is feasible for big groups as well as small! WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Six.

Our church is having a big women's event next weekend, so I have been in full planning mode for the last little while. One of my tasks was to find an icebreaker, and I did - and this isn't it!! But along the way, I found this one that looked like a fun and different option - at least from icebreaker games I've seen. It would work for any women's gathering, and with some tweaking, it could work for bridal or baby shower, too! A twist on the "What's in your purse?" game, this one is "What's in your phone?" (If you ever play this one with me, you don't want me on your team. Other than pictures, I would be a pretty big fail.)

4 comments:

Becky said...

I want to say Thank you! I have been in a season of single... single mom single woman... traveling alone in this world. You have been such an encouragement over the years. I'm officially engaged and we set a wedding date of June 2020!I'm over the moon excited!

Tamar SB said...

Those costumes are too good!!

Tracy Gayer said...

Blessings on your women’s retreat next weekend!

Bekah said...

Becky!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We are rejoicing with you and are so thankful for a new season and the joy God has brought you! Thank you for sharing your news and for your kind words. You blessed me today!

Tamar - Aren't they!!?!?!?

Tracy - Thank you! We are excited about it and are trusting God to remind us of all the little details we fear we may forget...