I sat on the living room floor last night and said to Ryan, "I have no idea what to blog about tomorrow." He said I could do something of spiritual significance, and then remembered I probably have no brain cells left with which to be profound in any way.
Truth!
So...yesterday Mom had a hip replacement. And she told me I was allowed to document the day {NOT the surgery itself}, but I wasn't allowed to embarrass her. And my sister told me I wasn't allowed to post the dorky selfies we took. So I have very little blog-worthy material for you to enjoy today.
Nevertheless, I'll fill you in!
Mom has been waiting on this hip replacement forever. It's just kind of been a long comedy of delays that weren't funny at all, so I guess that makes them just delays, and not comedies, right? She's been a fantastic patient leading up to it: doing all her pre-op exercises regularly, reading her long manual about surgery, and trying not to freak out about surgery.
When I arrived at the hospital yesterday, she was in the holding tank {what is the real word for that? I have no idea} in her pretty little gown and skid-proof socks, awaiting surgery. I got a picture together with her and dad, but I'm pretty sure she'd kill me if I posted it, so I won't. My birthday is coming up. I don't want to jeopardize my present. HA!
But I will tell you this, because it was hilarious. The surgeon came in to go over last minute details with her {SUPER nice guy}, and at the end, he said, "I always treat my patients like they're my own family." She did not miss a single beat before she said, "Yes, but do you LIKE your family?"
The entire room busted out laughing, including nurses tending to other patients. Good question! Legitimate!!!
They came to get her right on time and she went back into the OR, and I went to the little coffee shop around the corner because, well, obvious reasons.
Best latte I've had (not homemade by my friend Mike) in a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.
I took books and activities, but it was hard to concentrate in there, so I fear I wasn't very productive. Ryan had JUST walked in the door after work when the surgeon came out to meet with us. He said the surgery went very well and he thought she should feel like a whole new woman. Apparently her hip had been quite a mess.
I went down the phone tree and texted/called a bunch of Mom's friends and then we were able to go back and see her.
I was sorely disappointed, you guys. I was expecting a repeat of Ryan's post-op experience. Hilarity. Silly questions.
She was sleepy, you could tell, but she was 100% coherent and even kept saying, "I'm not saying stupid things am I?" Sadly, no.
My favorite part of the recovery room was when she said her hip hurt {well you had surgery, you know!!} and Ryan asked if she needed to move it a little. He moved around to that side of the bed and started maneuvering her leg, right as the nurse showed up. She just kind of stared at him and I was like "Ummmm he's a therapist. He knows what he's doing." {Although right before that I was like, DON'T BREAK HER! SHE JUST GOT THAT!!!}
The nurse just laughed and said "Well I know he's family and we can't tell family not to do something..." but you could see relief on her face that he had training at least. HA!
We stayed until she got settled in her room and then we let her have her space. After all, she had a pretty major surgery.
Interesting side note: Ryan's mom is in the hospital too, so we got to visit them both!!
So there you go. My least picture-represented blog post ever. And I'm not even sure it makes sense. But my brain is mush. So there's that. I'll try to be more with it tomorrow!
Meanwhile, we are so thankful the surgery went well and are eager to see Mom up and around without pain!
6 hours ago
8 comments:
Glad she made it through!!!!
Getting any part of your body "replaced" sounds painful; I hope your mom recovers well in as least amount of pain as possible.
Glad the surgery is behind her! Now on to better days ahead! I know first hand how replacements can make you feel like a whole new person! Love your Mom's comment to the Dr.!! :)
Maria - right?? It sure does! But we've heard it will revolutionize her life, and she's been in a LOT of pain for a LONG time, so we are ready for that for her!
Shari - Isn't she so funny? Never lost her wit before or after surgery. She cracks me up.
Bekah, I'm so glad Marilyn (your mom) made it through the hip replacement. Thank the Lord for his blessing. Your blogs, even without very many pics, are always entertaining. Lois
So glad surgery went well!!! Her comment to the doctor cracked me up!
My mom had her hip replaced 13 years ago and she has never regretted it. One of the best things she ever did.
Replacements and surgeries have been common in our household lately (sort of). My son ruptured his Achilles tendon (he's 19) and had surgery on that on 11/30. My mom had surgery the following day on her thumb joint for arthritis. My husband had his knee replaced on 12/20. All 3 are still in physical therapy which is only 10 minutes away but their doctors and the hospital is an hour away. All are doing fine. When you sit around and watch those coming in for surgery and/or in and out of physical therapy, it definitely makes you appreciate good health.
Karen in Southern Maryland
P.S. I love your mom's sense of humor!
Lois - she's so funny!! She makes it easy to keep them entertaining!
Odie- wish you could have been a fly on the wall to hear her comments!
Karen - My goodness!!! You guys definitely have had your share of it this year, haven't you?? You're right - seeing what others go through makes you appreciate the health you have!
Post a Comment