Monday, February 06, 2012

Public Service Announcements

I warned you.

This blog is random.

And today is the randomest of them all. Including the use of the word randomest. Feel free to use that.

Today I feel compelled to tell you about things that you might not know you need to know. After all, a great number of them, I learned from other blogs. My blogger duty is to pay that information forward. IF this causes you to spend any money you hadn't planned to spend, please blame the original sources and remember I'm merely a messenger. Merely. (That's a fun word. Merely.)

* Did you know Picnik is going bye-bye? Back up. Do you know what Picnik is? It's a photo editing site that offers (in my opinion) an above average amount of free editing tools. You could also purchase a subscription (or membership or whatever it's called) and get even more fun stuff, but for about the last 2 years I've been an editing fool with just the freebies. And then I received an email that in April, it's going the way of all the earth. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Just the other day, I wondered how in the world I'd find a new site that gave me editing options I could figure out. (That last part is the key.) And as if by magic (or perhaps divine intervention) I stumbled upon this blog post which gives an entire host of options to try. I haven't tried them all yet, but if you're a fellow panicking Picniker, check it out! Maybe your new editing BFF is in there.
* Because walls can never have too much art...I was very excited to see this deal featured on The Mom Creative the other day. (The Mom Creative has saved me a LOT of money in the past couple of years. God bless her.) A free photo canvas. (Well, free if you pay shipping and handling. And face it, that's cheaper than moving into the canvas warehouse so you don't have to pay for shipping.) I have decided I want to do a baptism display - with some of the Jordan River water in the little jar we used to pour some over my head...and one of the rocks I handed out to everyone...maybe a framed copy of some of the song lyrics I used...and I think this canvas will complete the display. * Have you seen J.C. Penney's new philosophy on life and shopping? The other day I received this mini catalog book in the mail, so while I sat in the Fazoli's parking lot last week, waiting for Jenny to arrive for dinner, I read it. (I rarely read catalogs, so good job little Penney's marketers, for capturing my attention on that one!) Anyway, one of the month-long deals they're featuring in Feburary: these scoop neck T-shirts for five bucks each. Five bucks! None of my t-shirts fit anymore, and since these would be something I could even wear to work, guess who visited Penney's with her $25.00 gift card?? And for a mere $1.68 in tax, I came home with a full week's worth of shirts. Thankyouverymuch. And if I knew what the colors of my someday-new-house-bathroom would be, I'd have purchased some $4 towels too.


* And about the yogurt. I have always hated yogurt. Not frozen yogurt. Bring THAT on. But I mean the good-for-you stuff. I mentioned to Lynne at the end of last year that one of my goals was to learn to like yogurt because I know it's good for me and I should. (Ick.) So during one of my stays at her house, she made me a yogurt parfait, and I LOVED it. So guess who eats yogurt every day for breakfast now? When I purchased my last tub of yogurt, the checkout guy (who was about 12) held it up after scanning it and said, "You like this?" Sensing the need to win over a young generation of yogurt lovers, I gave him a full sales pitch on how I used to hate it...and now I love it. So in case you're a skeptic, try it Lynne's way. Here you go:



Greek Yogurt (I use plain Chobani Greek Yogurt)

Honey (Since the yogurt is so tart, she adds 1/2 Tablespoon or so of honey and stirs it up)Granola (I use Back to Nature's Vanilla Almond Agave Granola)

Blackberries (Meijer sells some that are huge - I add some sweet n low on top so they're not so tart)

No specific measurements...as much as you'd like of each thing. YUMMY.






And this completes my randomest public service announcements for today.

5 comments:

Sarah Forgrave said...

Haha, I love the story of you trying to talk the checkout guy into liking yogurt. That is classic. :)

Bekah said...

Leave it to me to be the yogurt advocate in the Meijer. :)

Whitney Bailey said...

My Dad works at JC Penney headquarters, so I've been hearing all about the new pricing philosophy for awhile. Fun fact - they offered so many coupons and sales all the time that less than one half of one percent of merchandise ever sold at full price. And they raised the employee discount to 25%! Not that I get it, but I feel a little less guilty about sending my mom links to items she should buy her grandchildren.

Whitney Bailey said...

My Dad works at JC Penney headquarters, so I've been hearing all about the new pricing philosophy for awhile. Fun fact - they offered so many coupons and sales all the time that less than one half of one percent of merchandise ever sold at full price. And they raised the employee discount to 25%! Not that I get it, but I feel a little less guilty about sending my mom links to items she should buy her grandchildren.

Bekah said...

Really!! Now that is an interesting fun fact!! And I rarely used a coupon because they were always at home and I was at the store...you see the dilemma...