Sometimes Ryan and I learn a lot about each other while podcasting. I fear this week, Ryan learned more about me than he planned to! {Side note: rendering your husband speechless while recording an audio adventure is not a great idea. Ha!} Hope you enjoy...we sure had fun laughing!
Okay, I don't know what it was like in your neighborhood this weekend, but spring descended upon Indiana with much gusto, which quite frankly, just makes it that much harder to admit we're still in January, and we'll still see more snow before winter waves goodbye.
I mean, it was absolutely STUNNING here. Sunshine, blue skies, perfectly fluffy clouds, warmth, perfect weather for walking a visiting Phoebe - it was just perfection all the way around. I wanted to put away my coats and boots, uncover the grill, and head to Lowe's to buy all the flowers.
And that, my friends, is what sent me straight to Pinterest to begin plotting what I should do with our patio spaces in 2017. (What...is this not a common hobby among people???)
Here's the thing.
Last year, when we moved in, we spent alllllllllllll our time and energy on pretty much every nook and cranny of our house. INSIDE, I mean. You read the posts. We painted and redid flooring and knocked out that one wall and did the stone feature and finished off the garage. The patio spaces? Well, we stuck the furniture we already owned out there and called it a year.
It was fine. It worked.
But I know deep in my soul that our two patio spaces are something special and we did not even begin to do them justice with the attention we gave them last year.
With the inside of the house done, I have the time to pay attention to the outside. What I lack are finances. We really don't have much {read: any} money to invest in big, fun things for our outside spaces. This doesn't scare me, though, because we regularly make a little creativity go a long way. We're not afraid to DIY, but I don't know what to DIY.
Any of you out there particularly visionary in the land of patios and porches?
Here's what I have to work with. Tell me what you think!
Our front porch is a lovely little nook that last year we filled with our square wrought iron table and two wrought iron chairs. As temperatures permitted, we would sit out there to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner and watch the happenings of the neighborhood. I like our patio because the railing offers a decent amount of privacy, but it doesn't block the view. It's handy to have the little table out there, because it's easily accessible to our kitchen, making it a logical place to eat.
Having said that, I'm not sure I want to put the table back out there this year. I kind of dream of a little seating area where I could hang out to read or we could just lounge in the evening with a cup of coffee. I dream of cuteness, complete with rugs and maybe even an outdoor-appropriate lamp.
The space is 12 feet long and 6 1/2 feet wide, and has one open side, one wall, one railing that comes up 3 1/2 feet, and one wall of windows that I do not want to block in any way. I cherish my natural light!
Ideas? Something fun and cozy and pretty all at once? AND practical? AND cost-effective?
Our back porch is equally lovely and somewhat of a blank slate in my mind. It's a long rectangle, 30 feet long and 12 feet wide in all, but it's divided into two parts. There's a cement slab that we covered with rubber tile last summer and that part is also surrounded by a lovely privacy fence. (The previous owners had a large table for eating right in this part.) The other section is a wooden deck surrounded by a wooden fence that is high enough for child/animal safety but see-through enough to not feel closed in. Part of this section also has a pergola (ahhhh our pirogi!) over it.
Last summer we did pretty much NOTHING with this porch. We put our beloved hammock for two under the pergola, stuck a little round table next to it, and called that end done. We put Ryan's grill on the cement slab end, put our old white wooden door (which I painted in part with chalkboard paint) next to it, and that was the extent of our decorating!
So we have the 18x12 deck and the 12x12 slab, and other than knowing I want to keep the hammock and grill back there somewhere, I don't know what to do! Do I make a dining area? An outdoor kitchen that we build around the grill? A living space? AAAHHH!!!
(Side note that may be important: we do have a fire pit, but it's in the backyard, just behind this patio. It needs to stay back there.)
So tell me, Pinterest-lovers, spring-dreamers, decorators-extraordinaire! What should we do? What should we make? WHEN CAN WE START?????
5 hours ago

6 comments:
Well, I can't tell you what you should do, but I'll tell you that I'd love an outdoor kitchen built around the grill. That does not sound inexpensive to me but if you could do some of it yourself, that would help. Good luck with your outdoor spaces- looking forward to reading about what you decide to do.
So exciting to plan these spaces! It's still very much so winter here!
Maria - I've found a handful of ideas on Pinterest that look fancier than they cost, so of course those are the ones I love. Of course ours would have to be sans sink and refrigerator and pizza oven and all the fun stuff, but it could still be cute!
Tamar - I fear our winter is returning. :( So I'm hanging onto the spring dreams!
A water feature would be really cool in your enclosed back patio. My brother and dad built a water feature for me. They mounted an antique water pump on a cedar pallet they built. We got a big galvanized steel bucket for the water to pour into from the water pump. You can make a water feature out of about anything. You would love the trickling sound! You just need an outlet nearby to plug in the pump. I'd attach a pic if I could.
I have SO many comments from the podcast, but I'm sure I'm going to forget some!
First of all, last Weds my student was here for her lesson, and we always start off with her top three (Best Part of the Week, Worst part, Most Fun or Funniest) So we finish up with that and we're about to start playing the piano and she yells out "BUT WAIT!!!!!!!! What is happening with the cat being potty trained????!!!!" bwhahahahah I had to tell her we were famous, since you mentioned us on the podcast. Well, partially famous since she's known as the 9 yr old Piano Student:)
I showed her the picture of Ryan and the kit and she about fell off the piano bench. It was priceless! She would like you to know that she feels really bad for you having to clean up the LIQUIDS, while Ryan was recovering from his surgery. :) :) :)
Onto my Podcast comments!
I also loved figure skating, and grew up watching it. I knew who Sergei was, and I was devastated to learn he had passed away!
I was dying over the Ryan coming out of anesthesia stories. I've had 12? 12 or 13.. Surgeries, and I used to have a twice a year procedure where they would give me Demerol, which is what causes the amnesia. I had never had it before and they warned us that I would have temporary amnesia for several hours. Just like Ryan I would ask my Mom over and over what the Dr said, and if he had been in. Apparently one time the Dr was in the room with me and told me how it had went and after he was done talking, I asked So how did it go???! bwhaha Mom learned to give me a short, you're fine answer, as she knew she'd have to answer several times. She has many funny stories of me under the influence.
Speaking of Memory, I know I had something else to comment about from the podcast, but I don't remember :) :) :)
Tracy - A WATER FEATURE! I love this idea! (Not sure I have Ryan on board with it yet, but I love it!)
Charity - Your comments cracked us up!!! I'm so glad your student got her update! On the off-chance that you see this before lessons this evening, we have moved on to the next phase, which is to cut out the middle ring of the "training pan." It's very hard to know if we're making progress. We find flushable litter in the toilet, but we don't know if she just pushes it in when she's covering up, or if anything FROM HER is actually making it inside the hole on the first try. But so far it's still working! Tell your student thanks for the clean-up sympathy. I'll take it. :) Ryan laughed so hard over your anesthesia stories!! I think you two would be fun to watch wake up simultaneously!! :)
Post a Comment