Well, my friends, gallcation is over. {Apparently, being male, Ryan preferred to call his a "gallcation" rather than a "gallternity leave."}
Friday afternoon, Ryan picked up his surgeon's note and HR clearance to return to work today. He's definitely had a rougher go of it than I had where the pain has been concerned. We'd been told that was a possibility. I believe the kind way the surgeon phrased it was, "Those who have tighter stomach muscles have more pain." Yeah. I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down there.
So no more afternoon dates that look like this:
Sad indeed, isn't it?
But my goodness, what an unbelievable privilege it was for me this last week to have the freedom to serve Ryan at home. We had dinner with his family last night to celebrate his sister's birthday, and I think every single person there asked him if I had been a good nurse. He kindly said yes, while I sat beside him and shook my head vehemently NO. Was I a willing nurse? Absolutely. But willing and good are two TOTALLY different things, and let's not misrepresent!!
But even though it's not my natural gift, I did thank God multiple times a day that I was home and able to take care of Ryan and also have time to spend with him. We had many good talks, a lot of rest, a lot of quality time, and I was just thankful.
We reintroduced foods and learned that he can handle everything he could before the gallbladder conked out. {Whew! Gotta get back on an eating schedule. I "helped" him with reintroduction and that was a lotta treats in one week!}
And on Saturday, we got to see our favorite girl!!
PHEEBS!!!!!!
She came over to play, and partway through our time together, we were invited to hang out with our friends Mike and Angie - to play more virtual reality games. We just packed Phoebe up and took her with us, and we had a GREAT time!
Mike made his famous lattes:
And Phoebe hung out in my lap while we played. It was such fun! {Ryan won...bet you can't tell.}
A good and fitting conclusion to our week. Fun, togetherness, treats, healing, rest, laughter, friends...and now a return to reality for everyone!
And as a fun piece of useless trivia: it was two years ago yesterday that I landed in the ER with the beginning of my gallbladder diagnosis!! Full circle, baby.
4 hours ago
2 comments:
So glad he can go back to work and so glad you were able to be by his side helping him heal!
He did great on his first day back. I was proud of him! :)
Post a Comment