People. People, people, people.
I'm not sure at what point our lives became an ongoing chronicle of doctor's appointments, but it seems we've entered our geriatric late thirties, and we're just grateful you show up each day to hear about our latest ailments.
As you may remember from, you know, every other post this week, we've been eagerly awaiting the birth of little Myrtle Stone Shaffer, the promised kidney stone of 2017. No one has been waiting more eagerly than Ryan, believe me.
So many people have been kind to check in on us this week, to ask if he's home resting, and that would be a no. He's been working, because health care marches on, Myrtle or no Myrtle. Other things that march on, Myrtle or no Myrtle, would be Tuesdays at the Table.
We had our first gathering of 2017 scheduled for this past Tuesday night, featuring our friends John and Sandee, who were SUCH a help to us in our move last year. Sandee helped me with painting and cleaning {and marking boxes off my master list as they came off the truck}, and both of them helped us move the garage stuff. We so appreciated all they did and wanted to host them as a thank-you. They offered to reschedule, but Ryan insisted we go forward with our plans. So all Tuesday afternoon, I worked hard on dinner and baked cookies for dessert.
Ryan broke out Daryl the Drone and gave him a test run, even though he's been too sick to play with him lately, and we all gathered around to eat together.
I could see it in Ryan's face not long after dinner was over. He was hurting again. I asked several times if he was okay, and he braved forward, but finally he admitted he needed to go lay down. We hurried and took our group picture, and before they were even gone, he was changing into sweats and curling up in a little ball.
And about twenty minutes later, we were in the car, headed for here. Again. For the second time in two days.
I just sat and cried in the waiting room, watching him all bent over and trying to breathe through the pain, waiting longer and longer, because people kept coming in with chest pains and seizures and all manner of things that bumped us farther down the list. It was horrible. I knew the kind of pain he was having, and I hated every single second of it for him.
We finally got a room, and I took out my novel to keep reading about life in The Secret Garden, and Ryan was taken in and out as they ran a whole new battery of tests on him. Once again, the staff was kind and attentive, and I appreciated their attempts to figure out what in the world was going on.
About three hours later, with pain greatly subsided again, we were sent on our merry way with the following news: Myrtle is probably gone. Or maybe she never was. We don't know. But at any rate, she doesn't seem to be around for now. What the doctor thought was the culprit was an ulcer.
I could see that. After all, with all my gallbladder issues from years gone by, my diagnosis was almost always an ulcer, so I know the symptoms are very similar. But seriously? An ulcer? In Ryan? It seemed unlikely. But you know, it was almost midnight, and we had no better alternative, so we took the news and went home.
Yesterday, Ryan went to work and began to talk it over with all his co-workers, and one of them recommended that he check with the doctor that actually diagnosed my gallbladder issues. One conversation and that doctor wasn't buying the ulcer diagnosis. Not for a minute. Gallbladder, he said.
But we had a scan! It said the gallbladder was okay!
He said the scans don't always show gallbladder stones. Ultrasounds do, so Ryan will have one today to see if it turns up any fun new surprises.
We're exhausted. Ryan's exhausted from the pain, and I'm exhausted from chasing the ever changing diagnosis down the road. It's a kidney stone! It's an ulcer! It's your gallbladder! AAAHHHHHH!!!!!
So we're doing our best to hang tight and be faithful and wait {gulp} patiently. And for the past several hours, Ryan's actually felt pretty well. But we'll continue to gratefully accept your prayers for answers. Real answers. Answers that lead to a treatment that heals.
Whew!
Tomorrow's blog goals: to write about normal thirty-something happenings.
4 hours ago
13 comments:
I've never heard of gallbladder stones- just kidney stones. Poor Ryan and his pain. I sure hope he's pain free soon.
Maria - Gallbladder stones were my fun two years ago. My whole gallbladder was completely full of them. They had apparently been forming for 15 years while the doctors were telling me I had an ulcer. I had surgery and now I'm good as new. While we hate the idea of surgery, if it means we can go back to normal life, we'll take it!
I've had my gall bladder out due to gall stones and always had the worst pain after I ate. It took several months to figure it out but what a relief to have it out. For me it was specific foods that set me off. Creaming rich foods were the worst for me. I think there is a list of foods to avoid with gall stones. It would be worth looking into to see if it reduces the episodes. Sorry for the struggles. Praying for quick recovery!
You both have been on my mind and in my prayers SO MUCH these days and it's no wonder!! I just have no words, but I DO feel so bad for what you are going through. Would sure help if the doctor's could/would make the right diagnoses the first time! Will continue to love and pray for you!
UHG! What a roller-coaster!!!
Hey there. I might be able to help a little. I think what Ryan needs to definitively diagnose any gallbladder issues would be a HIDA scan, which is a nuclear medicine test that uses an injected radioactive tracer to help provide images of the gallbladder and bile ducts. It will show more than just stones; it also shows how well the gallbladder is functioning and the amount of bile that is moving (or not.)
I'm sorry Ryan is having such a lousy start to the year. Pain is just no fun!
Sandi - we've been trying to be cautious on foods that trigger both gallbladder and ulcer issues. He's pretty much living on chicken noodle soup, chicken breasts, and a handful of veggies, with an occasional cookie. His biggest loss is coffee. He's dying without that.
Shari - THANK YOU for your prayers! I know it's a process of elimination for the doctors, and we eliminated another possibility this morning, so now we'll move to the next one!
Sarah - I DON'T EVEN LIKE ROLLER COASTERS!!!!!!!!!
Christina - Thank you for all this info! That actually is his next test (Monday) but I had no idea, first of all, how to SPELL it, and I really didn't know what it did! So this is very helpful! I had an ultrasound (which he did too, this morning), but they didn't do this scan on me. His gallbladder was clear of stones, but they said that didn't mean it was functioning. pain is indeed not fun, and he has a REALLY high tolerance, so I know when I see him hurting SO badly that it must be off the charts for any of the rest of us!
Yuck! I am praying for you to find some answers soon, in the meantime I'm so thankful for the relief in pain for Ryan.
I had my Gallbladder out in my early 20's after a miserable year of being sick and Dr's not being able to figure out what was wrong. Finally my surgeon told me there was a 50/50 chance of it being my gb and I elected to have it out. (My tests said it was functioning fine and showed no stones) when it came out it was completely covered with cholesterol crystals, which are as tiny as the flecks on the outside of a strawberry, and are what creates the gallstones. It would have never showed up on the scans.
Been Praying for Ryan and for you! Since I saw the e.r. insta.
bless his heart!!! praying for you guys. XOXO
Praying for you both!
OY VEY!! I hope he is feeling better and on the mend!!
Allison - He is grateful too!
Charity - This is fascinating! I have never heard of that! I'm amazed they agreed to if they couldn't prove it had issues!!
Polly, Marissa, and Tamar - THANK YOU!!!!
Post a Comment