6 hours ago
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Just Thankful
Thanksgiving rolls around next week, and speaking of rolls...anyone looking forward to indulging in one of those during the holiday meal? My mom is a great roll-maker, and not surprisingly, it's one of the gifts I did not inherit from her. That...and pie making...and candy making. It's all very sad. So whenever she makes a batch of rolls, I like to save a carb up and have one. They're worth it.
But even though we're still a week away from Thanksgiving, it's not too early to be thankful, and I thought today would be a great day to do just that here on the blog!
A few things I'm thankful for...in no particular order:
* This house and the journey to get here. When I think that ten months ago, we had not even stepped foot on the property, and now it feels like we've always lived here, I think that calls for some major gratitude. Everything about finding the house, purchasing it, renovating it, settling into it, and now enjoying it brings about a major swell of joy in my heart.
* Our new city. I wasn't scared about moving to a new city, but I was curious how the transition would go, since I'd lived my entire adult life in Marion. But it's been such a blessing to be closer to our family, to be able to be involved in helping them when they need something, being able to be included in things that we were too far away to be part of before. This place suits us.
* Those who carry the baton. This year we said farewell to the Bekah-mobile and to our first home together. While we try not to be overly sentimental, those things did matter to us, and in both cases, we passed the baton to people who understood the love and care we had put into them and promised to carry that on. And we've heard that both are thriving under new ownership, and that makes us happy.
* Our new church. We have begun attending a church closer to home, and while it was hard to leave the place where we worshiped for the last 3.5 years, we've begun to settle in to our new church home. We're starting to learn names, we've found a seat to call ours, and we've been welcomed and embraced already, which is a huge answer to prayer.
* Phoebe. Since I still haven't convinced Ryan that Shafferland needs a dog, I'm grateful for Phoebe. We get to watch her semi-regularly, and she is such a fun little girl. We love how excited she gets when she sees us, we love how she adores cuddling, and Ryan particularly loves what he calls "joint custody." All the fun without the expense. Maybe that's why he sees no need for a dog of our own...
* New opportunities. This year brought about a host of new opportunities for me. Speaking in new places, writing new material, freelance work, podcasting, working from home, chasing dreams, releasing a new book...WOW! What's not to be thankful for there??
* Tuesdays at the Table. This little idea we conjured up and threw into motion at the end of the year has been such a blessing to us. We have loved actually having time to open our home and welcome in friends and family, and my goodness - do we ever have a growing list of people yet to invite! {And if you want to come visit, give us a holler!}
* Great friends. From those who pitched in to help us with all the aspects of moving, to those who have included us in their happenings this year, to those who keep in touch even though we may live a great distance apart, I'm reminded that we both have many wonderful friends. That is a huge blessing!
* You. Hanging out with you every day when you come to visit is a complete joy. I look forward to talking with you in the comments, hearing your stories, and sharing with you. THANK YOU for coming over so regularly and allowing us to be part of your days!
* Ryan. I can't close out a list (and this is by no means a complete list of what we're thankful for) without including Ryan. I am thankful for how hard he works to provide for us, how he supports me in my dreams and makes me feel like I'm making a difference in our home, and how he shows his love in a million ways. I'm thankful for the dreams we've conjured up for the future and for all the exciting things yet to come!
So that's a few thoughts from my head...now it's your turn! What are you pausing to be thankful for this week?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
So much to be thankful for!!
I need to do a serious thinking about this. No lie this year was a rough one, but there is always what to be thankful for!!
I love your list! I need to do some thinking about this, too. The obvious things I'm thankful for spring to mind quickly but I know there's so much more in my life to be thankful for.
My thankful list is a long one but, I do want to say this: Because of you and your blog, my day gets off to a great start EVERY day and I am thankful for that. HE put you in my life! And, also thankful for a chance to meet Ryan!! You guys are a great team and loved by many! Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm thankful for you, Bekah and Ryan!
Love your list! Your blog is a testimony to your thankful heart year round, but it is nice to have a list, sometimes! I shared these 5 things as kind of an ice-breaker game with 4 youth girls I have in a mentoring group this week. I asked them what they all had in common. The answer was, they are all things I give thanks for almost every day. My items were in no particular order 1) toilet paper (I do love soft toilet paper!) - we used to run out so much as a child, that as an adult, I keep hidden supplies everywhere (shhh! don't tell anyone) 2) peach propel (you can keep your coffee - me, I love my peach flavored propel) 3) a picture of a man in a military uniform (obviously a reference to the wonderful men and women who serve to protect our great nation) 4) a soft pillow (ending my day on a soft pillow is not something I want to take for granted) 5) a Styrofoam cup with hot water in it (I love hot water showers! - those are great times to spend praying thanksgiving prayers). Obviously my list could be much longer and would certainly include family and friends, but I wanted to spark some thought and discussion with these items with the girls.
I'm with Odie Boggs I'm thankful for you and for your blog!
Tamar - you have a week's warning before the official holiday hits! I believe you can do it! :)
Maria - After reading Tina's list, I think I need to dig deeper!
Shari and Odie - You make us smile so much! :) We are thankful for your friendship!
Tina - See, now I need a part b post, where I think OUTSIDE the box! Never my forte. But I gotta say. That TP thing...now there is something to that. I vowed after 4 years of college TP that I would never compromise on the soft stuff. And I haven't. :) I love this idea you did. I might have to steal it for something. {Blog post or otherwise.} And if I do, I'll give you FULL CREDIT.
Post a Comment