Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Craft Night at the Garage!

Podcast Tuesday!!!


We've got stories from Christmas shopping and some Thanksgiving "Would You Rather" fun to share with you this week. Enjoy!

Last month, my friend Amber hosted a craft night for her birthday. I mentioned in my "What I Learned in October" post that I really had a great time, and I miss nights like that. I even said I might do a night like that. You know. Sometime. Whenever.

But in the spirit of our Tuesdays at the Table gatherings, I decided to toss out the "someday" and just pick a date and send some invitations. I was terrified, actually, because things like this bring out the junior high in me like nothing else. What if I plan a party and no one comes? {I know I'm not the only one who stresses over that.} But I decided to be brave and do it anyway.

I wrote the invitation on the chalkboard in the garage and texted it to a handful of girls that I thought might be interested.
I knew it was last minute and a very busy time of year, but I thought it might be helpful for them to get away from home for an evening, work on some things for Christmas, or finish up some other craft they never seemed to get done at home. I asked everyone to bring a snack to share and told them they could come late or leave early if they needed to, but the garage would be open from 5-11 p.m. If they wanted dinner, they were welcome to bring something for themselves, but the provided food would just be snacks to share. Low-key and easy.

{Ryan even offered to wrap gifts for anyone who had presents purchased that they didn't want to wrap. I don't think anyone had shopped yet - but I was impressed by his offer!}

The day of the party, I changed the chalkboards out to welcome the guests and display the menu. {I just added the food as each person brought something.}
We borrowed a few tables and set them up around the garage so everyone had plenty of space to work.
I didn't ask the girls if I could use their pictures, so I won't, but we had the best time just hanging out and working on projects. I ended up having four girls come over {and one brought her daughter}, and they were busy! A couple of them worked on a wreath, one made some Pinterest projects, and one worked on lettering some art for a sign. I scrapbooked. :)

And Ryan? He had his own table and project: fixing an extension cord he cut in two with some hedge trimmers. Yes. You heard me right.
And then he kind of forgot to pay attention to what he was doing and he put two matching plug ends on the cord. Whoopsie.

I wore my Christmas shirt, which, incidentally, I forgot I had on earlier that day when I went to the bank, and I got some very interesting looks from a gentleman in the parking lot.
Despite the utter DOWNPOUR happening outside all during the party, and the fact that most people got soaked going in and out, we had a very fun night. The snacks were delicious, the company was fun, and I think we all got a decent amount of work accomplished.

I'd love to do it again sometime. The space is perfect for it, and it's a bonus that Ryan brings his own crafts and joins us! :)



3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What a fun idea!! Love your t-shirt!

Maria Rineer said...

Do you guys normally park your vehicles in your garage (obviously for this occasion they weren't)? Just curious. It's so pretty that you kind of wouldn't want to... but I'm sure you don't want to scrape frost and what not off your car windows just to have a pretty garage!!

Bekah said...

Tamar - Thanks! So did the guy at the bank. LOL!!!

Maria - Great question! Yes we do normally keep them in there, because you said it - frost and all the other delightful Midwest weather. When we have company, we just move the cars outside, mop the floor (the treatment we did on it makes it easy to clean) and blow out any any leaves or things that have made their way inside. We also have a heater made for larger spaces that we can use to heat it up if it's chilly.