Thursday, July 23, 2015

Bekah and the Hashtags

I have always been fashionably behind the times. I am sure I've told you before that I tend to embrace a style as it sails out the front door and a new one arrives. This is true for everything from clothing to decorating to social media. {I may have been the last person on the planet to sign up for Instagram - and I haven't even dared to LOOK at Periscope. OH! And I skipped Vine entirely.}

Having opened with this disclaimer...let's talk about the hashtag, shall we?

When hashtags arrived on the scene, I felt as warm and fuzzy toward them as I did toward text speak. I never did embrace that. While everyone {INCLUDING MY OWN MOTHER} sends messages asking "R U COMING?" or "THX" - I was still typing out entire words the way my elementary school teachers taught me to spell them. {Pausing to remind us all that my own mother was just such an educator.}

So while I still typed real words, I discovered that in the land of social media, they had made a bit of a comeback, but with the resurgence of letters came a disappearance of spaces. Suddenly everything was all hash-taggy and I had to stop and read carefully to make sure my brain could still insert spaces as needed. WAY too much work, I decided.

Since I've never been accused of being trendy in any way, I decided to skip the hashtag. It would pass, I decided.

Well, there's certainly a time for us all to be wrong, isn't there?

I will admit that over time, some hashtags have grown on me. The hashtags that mean something have ceased ruffling my nerves. Wasn't that the original point of the hashtag anyway? To create a search tool? So if I saw hashtags for holidays or TV shows or even family names, I could handle it.

Then there were the crazy ones. The ones that could not possibly be a popular search trend. You know. Things like #whyintheworlddomondaymorningshavetocomesoearly or #ijustateapizzaandnowmystomachreallyhurts - just made me #wonderwhyintheworldwehavetoforfeitspaces.

Along the way, Ryan and I had a conversation about hashtags, and he started using them in verbal speech, except he got a wee bit confused on the name and started calling it a hashbrown. "Hashbrown I love you."

You can't be mad when you hear hashbrown.

So ALL of that to say...I have the privilege of being part of a book launch team. My first time ever to be part of such a thing. Kristen Strong, who writes for {in}Courage has a new book coming out in a couple of months. It's called Girl Meets Change, and I'm really excited to read it and to be part of her team that helps spread the word about the book. I interviewed her back in my radio days and found her to have the sweetest, gentlest heart.
Kristen encouraged those of us on her launch team to share photos on Instagram of things in our life that represented change - and to add #girlmeetschange to the photo.

Hashbrown help me.

So there I sat, fully aware that I'd applied to be part of this team and to help Kristen spread the word and if a hashtag spread the word, a hashtag I would have to learn to use.

So I posted a picture of my attempt at capsule wardrobing...and typed out my explanation of this change in my life...and then I took a deep breath and hit # for the first time in life.

I was nearly in a cold sweat by the time I posted that photo. Ironic, isn't it, that a book about change brought about the change in my hashtag usage!?!?

In need of a hashtag intervention, I confessed to the entire launch team {in the privacy of a Facebook group} that I'd just used my first hashtag.

Hashbrown no filter.

Hashbrown they think I'm crazy.

Hashbrown Kristen probably wonders why she chose me.

But I'm happy to announce I've used a hashtag three times now and the sky has not yet fallen.

Hashbrown relieved.

I still don't love the hashtag. But I'm glad I've been pushed to use it...and I'm really glad Kristen Strong wrote a book on change. I'm excited to read it and tell YOU more about it!

Hashbrown - please still love me.

19 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh I love you girl!!! I also skipped vine and don't have a desire for periscope or snapchat. I always type out texts in full sentences without short cuts. ALWAYS!!! You are a girl after my own heart. I do love a good hashtag though. Hence, #morganfamilydaily :-) welcome to hashtag-dom

Unknown said...

Hashbrown you LITERALLY make me laugh everyday!
Hashbrown I love life with you!
Hashbrown I'm SOOOO in love with you!

Bekah said...

Leslie- I forgot all about snapchat! I skipped that one too. You and I are INDEED two peas in a pod, and I love that. And for the record, I do love your hashtag. You and a handful o f my other friends have family hashtags, and I actually look for them now {don't tell!!!} - and I've even CONSIDERED making one for Shafferland. But baby steps.

Ryan - YOU COMMENTED ON THE BLOG!!! :) Hashbrown made my day, Hashbrown I love you SO much, Hashbrown blogging husband of the year. Hashbrown AS.

Jen @ Growing in Faith said...

Oh my gosh, I'm dying here! Hashbrown!! Best word switch EVER! I'm going to be laughing about this for days.

#GirlMeetsChange indeed! :D You go girl!

Kristen@Chasing Blue Skies said...

Oh you are HILARIOUS!

And nope, I've never for a second wondered why I chose you. You are creative, smart, and just plain fun. #BekahHasItAll #KristenAintNoFool :) :)

Love you, girl!

Bekah said...

Jen - Ryan is sort of a master at the word switch. We have our own dictionary, and we use some of the words so often, we have to really think hard for the RIGHT word. Enjoy hashbrown!! :)

Kristen - Awwwwww thank you!! And I love the hashtags/hashbrowns! Much love back your way!

Tamar SB said...

I do not get periscope either!! Or vine!

And seriously, what's with the hasthtags that require serious mental energy to read!

Natasha said...

First of all I love the conversation between you and Ryan in the comments here. Hashbrown Awesome!

Second of all, I didn't understand what hashtags were about so for the first months I used them, I just made up my own. It was kind of hilarious actually :)

Christina said...

Confession time....you're ahead of me. I have never used a hashtag in appropriate context (although I will confess to using it with Andrew as we both mock it). I have never done: Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Periscope (don't even know what that is), or posted anything on Facebook. Blogging is a up-to-date as I get!!

I'm sure I'll eventually get to the point where I cave and find a use for one of those things, but as of now I don't have that need.

But I will say, I may have to adopt the "hashbrown". That's good stuff!

#justcallmethegrumpyoldlady

Whitney said...

hashbrown despisedespisedespisehashtags

To me, it's just a very lazy way to write, especially when I see them on Facebook. Or a not remotely subtle way to brag. #cutestbabyever #isn'thethegreatest? #myfamilyisbetterthanyourfamily

Also, it was so hard to write those fake hashtags! I hit the space bar between every word. #hashtagsareunnatural

Unknown said...

You're not the only one. I've never even heard of Vine or Periscope and the only so social media I use is facebook. Don't even use Pinterest....so sad, I know!!! I've tried but it's all so overwhelming to me and makes me feel pressure to do so many things that I don't have time for. And I HATE, absolutely HATE hashtags!!!! :) I'm so so behind the times. Don't even have a smartphone. Can't bring myself to want to try and figure it out. Perhaps I have issues! I may need to read that book. :)

Bekah said...

Tamar - maybe that's it. The mental energy to read the really long ones!

Natasha - Thanks for liking our banter. We're nuts. So now I'm curious - what did your hashtags look like in the beginning??

Christina - In truth I only learned what Periscope is THIS WEEK, and even now I'm not sure I might explain it well. It's a video tool, but my understanding is it only stays up for a short time period - forcing you to participate live or very shortly thereafter. I only hopped on Instagram {confession} because one of the bloggers I read was having a baby and she said she would announce the birth there first. Yes, I am that crazy. And also -
#iloveyourhashbrown.

Whitney - YES!!! THIS!! The subtle bragging! I don't think I'd pinpointed that before, but you're right. That is one of the things that annoys me! Although I might adopt your #myfamilyisbetterthanyourfamily - HA!! I feel better knowing you struggle with them too. Can we blame our education? :)

Tia - I'm not even sure if Vine is around anymore (anyone know???). It was a video thing as well - but I think it had a six second limit. Like anything in my life happens in under six seconds. HA!!! I'm not sure (Since I've not read the book yet) if she has a chapter on changes in social media, but if not, maybe she can write a blog post to accompany the book!

Anonymous said...

this is the most perfect adorable post and comment section EVERRR.

hashbrown XOXO

Lori said...

All of a sudden, I thought Ryan was on Facebook! Then I realized I was reading blog comments. I have never even LOL'd.

Lori said...

All of a sudden, I thought Ryan was on Facebook! Then I realized I was reading blog comments. I have never even LOL'd.

Lori said...

All of a sudden, I thought Ryan was on Facebook! Then I realized I was reading blog comments. I have never even LOL'd.

Natasha said...

The thing about hashtags (hashbrowns!) is that they are used so you can follow what people are posting on a certain topic on Instagram (and probably Twitter and other social media, but Instagram is the only place I use them seriously). Or so that you can easily find what you have posted on a topic. My one Instagram friend has hashtags for each of her kids. When my friends and I went to New Zealand, we all posted under the same hashtag. Or I can find out who else is participating in the #24hourreadathon.

So when I started using hashtags, I just made up my own. So when you "search" them, instead of finding all the other things related to a topic, you would only find my own picture! I wasn't using them as a way to search, or let other people search, my things. Some of my early ones were #thekidsclearedthetable #ihopesomestayedontheplants

Sometimes I still make up my own just for fun but at least I know what I'm doing now.

When I find them ridiculous is when someone posts something and then has a million hashtags like #food #fastfood #frenchfries #friday and like nine more to describe one picture. Thankfully none of my friends do that :)

Hashbrown You didn't ask for a history lesson.
Hashbrown Longest comment ever

sarah.flyingkites said...

This is soooo good!!!!!! Hahaha

Shawn said...

Ok, so am I still the only one, that even after reading all this, doesn't understand what the hash tags are for? I'm so confused.