Wednesday, July 12, 2023

All Put Together

 


Thanks for hearing my heart yesterday. To be transparent, yesterday started out looking a whole lot like the day before that, but I continued to push through and eventually it started feeling more hopeful. (We still contemplated going to sleep immediately after work just to push on to yet another new day today, but we were responsible adults and stayed for all the evening chores.)

            I hesitated sharing the post I did yesterday because I didn’t want to appear as though I was complaining, but I also don’t want to appear all put together when sometimes I’m just…not.

            The curse of social media, right? You share good things in hopes of encouraging someone else’s day, but there’s always the risk that in so doing, you end up trying to look perfect and make others feel like they don’t measure up.

            It was ironic, then, to run across this question last night: “There are certain little things we do that make us feel like we have our lives together. Perhaps it’s always wearing a matching pajama set or putting on a powerful red lip. What do you do that makes you feel like you’ve got it all figured out?”

            I certainly don’t have it all figured out. (I attended a work meeting last night that reminded me of that in full! Still so much to learn with this new job, though it’s exciting to discover I do know some answers!) I don’t have it all figured out in my faith, my life, my work, our marriage, parenting pets, friendships, or anything else. I’m always asking questions. I’m always learning. Always striving to grow and improve.

            There’s real danger in believing I have something all figured out, because that opens the door for a big, fat, humiliating failure. Remembering that I don’t have it all figured out keeps me dependent on the Lord for His strength and grace, and I hope to never leave that particular corner.

            Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with a confidence boost. So I pondered it. What things do I do on purpose to help encourage my heart, my day, and my circumstances? Here’s what I came up with:

·         *  When it comes to home, I try to keep things organized. Aside from the fact that I spent about a half hour earlier this week hunting for something that I put in a very safe (and mysterious) place after our move – and still haven’t found that spot – I do try to make sure there is a place for everything, and unless that thing is in use in this moment, it should be found in its place.

·        *   I make the bed every day and hang up (or fold) all clothes not in use or in the laundry.

·       *    We have a routine for each morning and for every night to make sure regular chores are accomplished, our pets stay fed, our house stays clean, and our coffee pot stays filled.

·        *   I use my day planner to make lists and notes so I don’t forget what needs to be done. I have a fairly terrible memory, so this is really important.

·      *     I meal plan and make detailed grocery lists so we have what we need to eat and there are always enough leftovers for our lunches.

·     *      I wear earrings every day – even if nothing is happening. This makes me feel like I have tried with my appearance. Makeup doesn’t always happen, but it’s rare that I miss an earring day.

·      *     I also make sure I always have on nail polish. It is one of those finishing touches I love and try to keep up with.

·      *     I tell Ryan I love him roughly a thousand times a day. It’s not that I think he forgets or doubts. I just want to make sure it’s always one of the most recent things he has heard from me. (I also write him a love note for his lunch every day and never hang up the phone without at least one “I love you.”)

·      *     Color coding. This applies to everything in every part of life.

·         *  Ryan and I make a point to eat our meals together – sitting at the table. We might watch a show or be too engrossed in eating to have much conversation, but we sit down together and really look forward to that time.

I’m sure there are more things, but these are the first ones that come to mind. These things don’t make us perfect, and we certainly don’t have it all together. But these are the things that give us hope that we’ve done our best, and that’s all we can ask.

And when the day falls apart anyway? Ice cream. I highly recommend. Doesn’t have to be a big bowl. A little bit brings much encouragement.

2 comments:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I remember getting ice cream with my sister on a very strenuous and trying day. "Ice cream brings clarity" she said. I'll never forget that. lol But it's true! Or maybe just that you're sitting down and focusing on something nice is what brings the clarity, but WE chose to believe it was the ice cream. I'll also always remember it was my very first visit to a Carvel.

Hope today is a LOVELY day for you.

Tamar SB said...

Color coding. This is why we are friends.