Tuesday, July 04, 2023

A Playlist for Today

 


I know that not everyone who reads here each day lives in the United States, but for those who do, today is a national holiday, and I felt like celebrating with music today. I put together a little playlist of some of my favorite patriotic songs and thought I would share them with you!

1.     Stars and Stripes Forever. Back when I was single, I went with a friend of mine to a fireworks display in the town where we lived, and the local philharmonic played a concert prior to the big show. That was where I first fell in love with Stars and Stripes Forever. I’m not a huge student of famous composers, but I do love this one by John Philip Sousa. It feels like this song, more than any other, represents a summer night in the USA. Picnics and friends, fireworks and music – capped by this song. I chose this version of it because the conductor was fun to watch, and the location was beautiful! (And yes, I know it’s not in the USA. Oh, the irony, right?)

2.     America the Beautiful. This song reminds me of why my biggest travel dreams lie within this very country in which I live. It’s not that think other countries have nothing beautiful to offer, but there is SO MUCH to see right here in the USA. And of course, this rendition by the Gaither Vocal Band is my all-time favorite. This video shows some of America’s beauty – and you can hear David Phelps sing, too! (This will not be his final appearance in this list.)

3.     The Star-Spangled Banner. You can’t have a patriotic playlist without the national anthem itself! This acapella version by the Gaither Vocal Band came out sometime around the end of my college career and has remained one of my favorites. But I want to give you two more versions, too. One, of course, is David’s solo version, which includes one of the additional verses of the song that almost no one ever uses. (He was actually the first I’d ever heard record it.) And this version, which I have shared on the blog before, is the best sign language version I’ve ever seen. Mesmerizing.

4.     God Bless America. Second to my love of David Phelps singing patriotic songs would be hearing Sandi Patty singing them. Here is her version of another Independence Day song staple, in my book. The video doesn’t feature her, but rather scenes from around the country. (And if you’re not wild about high sopranos, she keeps this one on the lower end!)

5.     Battle Hymn of the Republic. Is this another David song? Why, of course it is! The whole Gaither crew did a concert years ago at the Kennedy Center, and this is from that. David does the final solo, and it’s fabulous.

6.     Military Medley. Some of you might remember that when Ryan and I lived in Kokomo, we participated in our church’s patriotic program every summer, and we loved being part of that! This video is not from any of any of our programs, but it reminds me of the tributes we did to our veterans. I love hearing all the military songs in a medley!

7.     I Pledge My Allegiance. You might not know this one, but it’s one of my favorites. (Yes, David is a featured singer.) This one is several years old, but it’s still a great one.

8.     Let Freedom Ring. Perhaps my favorite one of all. Powerful message.

 

Regardless of where you live, I hope you have a beautiful day, friends. And if you’re in the USA, have a safe holiday today!

2 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I put on the 1812 Overture and Stars and Stripes Forever as we watched fireworks from my car last night!

Anonymous said...

Ryan, Kokomo Park Band is doing a patriotic concert in Highland Park, Wed at 7:30 bring lawn chairs to sit on. If rain , Kokomo high school same tìme.