Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Just for Fun on Wednesday


Yesterday I gave you heart thoughts, and today I bring you random thoughts. I need some light-hearted midweek fun. Maybe you do, too!

* In fun Bekah-trivia, yesterday marked twenty-four years since I graduated from high school. I stared at this photo of that day (with my friend Phats) and realized I don't actually feel any older than twenty-four, so I am not entirely sure how this whole thing has happened. I do think that not being a parent contributes to feeling younger. If I had a teenager mini-me growing up in front of my eyes, I might feel older than I do.

* One of my friends posted on social media that she recently walked a marathon. That's a thing? I did not know this! But it intrigued me so much that I started researching it! I've run a 10K and a couple of 5K races, but those are my limits on running. (Ryan and I once started training for a half marathon and hated it. We were so relieved when the race organizers dropped it back to a 5K.) I'm not a natural runner and don't love running. I do it because I know it's good for me. But walking a marathon sounds like something that's actually feasible. I'm going to ponder this one. 

* As you know, I've been archiving all the old posts on this blog, so I have them safely preserved, should anything ever go wrong with the blog platform. It has been so much fun to read about life at a much faster pace than I lived it in real time. I'm relearning lessons from the Lord, grateful for the seasons that are done, and laughing at some of my only-Bekah stories. It reminds me all over again why I'm such an advocate for preserving story. Right now I'm reading through my weeks of saying goodbye at the radio station. It was such a time of stretching, obedience, growth, and heartbreak. (And how has that been five years already?)

* Ryan has absolutely perfected his breakfast game during quarantine. He's always made great breakfast foods, but his omelet skills have gone to the next level. They are perfect in presentation and in taste. I think he's ready to open his own breakfast cafe, actually. (We are going to miss our Sunday morning breakfasts when we return to live church!)

* I still have a dream of one day traveling Route 66 from Chicago all the way to the west coast. I want to do it over the course of 3-4 weeks so I can fully appreciate each mile. I may or may not have already started planning a daily itinerary, complete with websites, hours of operation, time zones, and more. (Fun fact: Ryan and I have eaten at Dell Rhea's Chicken, in Chicago, near the start of Route 66. It was part of our second anniversary trip!)

* When I get back to normal shopping, I'm most excited about returning to Hobby Lobby. Ours is open again, but I haven't been back just yet. I'm not avoiding it because I'm afraid of germs. I'm avoiding it because other than the one trip to Lowe's with Ryan, I haven't been to a store in over two months. I'm afraid I won't know some unspoken code of virus rules and will inadvertently do something wrong. Hobby Lobby is a place I go to browse, not to be stressed out about shopping rules. 

* Braeya has a fascination with our tomato plants. I think I told you that we are trying to grow tomatoes for the first time this year. A guy from our Sunday School class had some spare plants and gifted us a couple. I planted them in pots on Saturday, and on Sunday, we had hard rain for HOURS. We were so afraid they would drown that we pulled them back into the sun porch. Braeya declared herself their designated guard and sits between them for hours on end. It's the strangest thing. I guess she's our resident plant guard!
So there you have it! A few random and fun things for your Wednesday!

4 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Having run 26.2 two times I have no desire to walk that distance!

M Bragg said...

I would walk a half marathon, not a whole one.

I accidentally broke a new virus store "rule." Adam and I went to WalMart. I was totally focused on my list and proper social distancing. After we left, Adam asked if I followed the arrows for which direction customers were supposed to travel up and down the aisles? I never saw a single arrow! Now, I have this mental image of people being totally annoyed with me for going the wrong way in the aisles and I had no clue! - Michele

Bekah said...

Tamar - LOL! I wondered what you might say to that! I know there is no way I could ever, in a million years, run one, but I could maybe walk it. It would be the only way for me!

Michele - OH my goodness. I would totally do that!!! See? This is why I haven't gone back. :(

Natasha said...

The most I've ever done is sped walked 10km. I did it with my youth and we did it in just over an hour and fifteen minutes. I'd totally walk a marathon!

And Route 66 is my dream road trip. In a few years, we'll hopefully be able to drive it...