Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Saturday Six

One.

Easter is TOMORROW!!! If you need a last minute contribution to a family dinner (without giving the appearance that you had no idea what to do until today) how about this adorable fruit pizza? You just shape the dough like an egg and arrange the fruit like a decorated egg! I love fruit pizza. Best of all the worlds.

Two.

I stumbled upon this post on Pinterest a few days ago, and it took me back to my own sixth grade days. We made flowers like this in our class and used them to decorate the classroom for spring. These are so easy to make, budget friendly (hello, tissue paper!), and would make a great quick craft project for your kids or an easy way to decorate for a party or shower you're having this spring. You can make them all different sizes and colors to fit whatever you need!

Three.

Garage sale season is nearly upon us (or maybe it has already started where you live) so here's an idea for old shutters and cabinet doors you may find for next to nothing. Produce basket hangers for the win! (We're out of wall space or I might do this one myself!)

Four.

I happened upon this list recently and wanted to share it. Disclaimer: I have not looked at every single suggestion, nor can I vouch for the theology of all the writers. But I do think it's a great resource if you're looking for a Bible study to do this summer, whether alone or with friends. I know cost can sometimes be a an issue when choosing a Bible study, so maybe some free options will help!

Five.

Plants and lanterns hanging from a pergola! This has me all ready to work on our back patio space this summer. It's the one area we've never tackled since moving in.

Six.

Several months ago, I told you about my friend, Sarah Forgrave, and her book Prayers for Hope and Healing. You can read my review of it here. I loved it when I read it and gave it as a gift to people who were struggling with health issues. When Mom had her double knee replacement, Ryan took my copy to the rehab hospital with him every day and read to her in the mornings. (Sometimes I think she had him read the same prayers over and over because they meant so much to her.) When Ryan's mom lived with us following her brain surgery, he read pieces of it to her too, and she loved the book so much, she ended up sneaking my copy back home with her. (Took us a while to find it after she passed away, but it is safely back on my shelf now!)

And now Sarah has a second book out - a companion book of sorts: Prayers of Hope for Caregivers. Oh, how I wish I would have had this book during those four months of caring for Nita, because these are the prayers I needed. And I'm not so far removed from that season that I've forgotten what it felt like to experience all the feelings she wrote about in the pages of this book.

The format of the two books is identical: the chapters are topical, and each contains a short devotional thought followed by a prayer. You can read through them quickly, which is perfect if you're a caregiver, because sometimes the only alone time you get is while you're in the bathroom!

I loved two things in particular as I read the book. First, I identified with so much of what she wrote, so it helped me understand I hadn't been crazy in my thoughts and feelings, nor was I alone in having them. Even on the flip side of the journey, that affirmation is extremely helpful. Secondly, Sarah has this encouraging way of taking the hard struggles and showing you how to lean into the Lord in those moments. I didn't always do that well in my caregiving days. That's the part that made me wish I would have had the book then; perhaps I could have more carefully directed my thoughts to Jesus.

There are 46 chapters in the book, and each one is about 3-4 pages. (The book is a gift size book, so the pages are smaller.)

Here are some of the chapter titles/topics covered that really stuck out to me:

When You Feel Caught in an Endless Cycle
When You Feel Inadequate
When Your Care Recipient Doesn't Act Like HImself
When You're Tired of Keeping it All Together
When You've lost Your Idenity
When You've Reached the End of Your Caregiving

Each chapter begins with a short Scripture passage, then flows into the devotional and then the prayer. I remember when Ryan read the first book to Nita, she told me over and over that she loved Sarah's words, because they said what she felt but couldn't find words to say. I offer the same affirmation over the caregiver book. I underlined and starred my way through it, nodding with fresh understanding at the truth of these words.

It doesn't matter if your caregiving journey is long-term or short term. It could be a child recovering from surgery or a parent facing years ahead in a nursing home. These words transcend the details of the situation and just offer hope to the emotions and obstacles that face all caregivers.

If you are a caregiver, I highly recommend this book. If you aren't, but you know someone who is, this makes a perfect and practical gift. It's a pretty little book in presentation (hardcover, ribbon, and everything!) but the words inside are gold for someone in that position. And if you're a member of the clergy or work in healthcare (or any other similar organization that reaches out to caregivers) I highly recommend sharing it with those in your path.

Great job, Sarah! This book was a balm for my post-caregiving soul!

* Harvest House sent me a copy of the book at no charge; all opinions are my own. *

4 comments:

Tracy Gayer said...

Great idea about sharing the prayer book with people in the medical profession who work with families. I might send that title on to a few people I work with at Parkview. I’ve gotten to know some of the chaplains, hospice team,, etc. from when my parents were patients there.
Wish I had a pergola. My south-facing backyard has zero shade. Although, my yard needs some serious work done to it before I could think about spending time back there!
Blessed Easter to you and your family!

Tamar SB said...

I am so excited to try plants on my porch again - need to find nes that can stand up to nearly all day sun!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Wow, this book review means the world to me, Bekah. Thank you! ❤

Bekah said...

Tracy - Yes, please do send on the title! It's a worthy read! And it sounds like we both need some shade for our yards!

Tamar - Or get tiny plant umbrellas! LOL!!

Sarah - You are so welcome! Thank you for a great book!