Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Why Bekah Doesn't Work Out At Lunch

I hate everything about working out at lunch. I hate unassembling my look partway through the day - and worse than that I hate crawling back into it when I'm done. I hate dragging all the workout paraphernalia to work, adding yet one MORE bag to the daily luggage. And of course there is the issue of potential sweat during work hours - so unattractive. All of this is not to mention how very seriously I take my designated food intake hours, so to give that up for the sake of burning calories does not amuse me.

However, life is sometimes about compromise and this is such a week. It is our spring break (we do it more to welcome the thought of a someday spring than to actually enjoy an existing spring) so students are gone and the buildings have the "break" hours. This means the gym closes very early and if I am unable to work out immediately following work for any reason...I either have to work out on my lunch hour or work out at home. Normally I just opt to work out at home, but the elliptical is issue-laden at the moment, so I must use the gym or else.

Today was the first day I needed to use the gym at lunch, and may I just say: comedy of errors.

I decided to change my clothes in the bathroom in my own office building before walking over so I didn’t have to traipse over in my heels. I went into the bathroom and someone was in the handicap stall, so I had to use one of the regular size ones. I crammed in there with my coat and my backpack only to discover the floors were soaking wet from being mopped. That meant no laying my clothes on the floor and I had no idea how I was going to go about changing shoes and socks without getting wet feet. And because our toilets are automatic sensor flushers....it flushed on me three times just while I was changing clothes. Thankfully no one was in there by that point - because I knew they'd be wondering what was happening down in stall one!

I finally got changed and went to the gym only to discover that with my t shirt and warm up pants, I was sporting my lovely chunky cross choker. I frisbee-tossed it onto my bag after the first lap.

Did my walking without much incident and got ready to go to the car so I could go get my food – when I realized that today is the one day of my whole life that I didn’t put my keys in my coat pocket when I got to work. They were up in the office. So as I half-ran down the sidewalk, I calling work to see if the student worker could find my keys and then throw them over the balcony to me. I caught the keys, ran back to the car, went to the gas station to get my food and realized there were ENTIRELY too many choices. I finally picked out a sammich and chips and went back to work. I got my clothes changed back and was lugging my bag of food, drink, backpack, and coat out of the bathroom when I realized my pant leg was tucked inside my sock. Oh how attractive.

I fixed that and slid into the office only 5 minutes late. Not bad!

3 comments:

Christina said...

You know, I can completely understand.

I think perhaps the single biggest dislike I have for exercising can actually be summed up in one word:
SWEAT!

I can stand the hard work (okay, I will never like it, but at least there is a benefit). I don't usually mind the way I feel afterward because I feel like I've accomplished something. However, I absolutely detest getting all hot and sweaty, especially if I've already taken the time to get myself all "dolled" up for the day.

But I must say, I'm impressed with your dedication.

Bekah said...

oh thank you for understanding. I am so with you on the sweat thing. I think that's why I like walking the track so much. I sweat just a tiny bit - letting me know it's working - but not really bad. Now in the summer when I walk outside more - THEN there's sweat. I like to convince myself I'm actually working out harder because I'm sweating more. But somehow I think it's all just the sun.

Having said that - I wish walking really took off the tummy!!

janice said...

"there were ENTIRELY too many choices"

LOL, that's me for sure Bekah! Why can't they limit the choices to ONE and save us some time? Even two would be too many for me.