
My cats have very distinct personalities. Distinctly different. Braeya (who is all two) loves to be with me wherever I go. She meets me at the door every time I come home, and when I'm barely inside, she flops over on her back and wants her tummy rubbed. She stays underfoot until she gets her treat (which she promptly disregards to continue following me throughout the house). If I go in a room and close the door, she sits outside until I open it again. When I work on the computer, she sleeps on the couch behind me. When I watch TV, she sleeps beside me. When I work out, she watches. When I go to bed, she finds her way down by my feet and stays there. But she doesn't like to be held. No cuddling.
Kaegan, who is the wise old seven year old, is mostly content to be by himself. He knows Braeya will be with me, and that gives him an enormous break from his energetic sister. He can be found under the bed, in the closet, behind the bathroom door, and probably a handful of other hiding places I don't even know about. He graces me with his presence only when he deems it necessary, but when he does, he loves to love. And bless his precious heart, he always shows up when I'm upset, and as long as I don't make any sudden moves that scare him, he willingly lets me pick him up and hold him for several minutes. He purrs and nudges my head with his face - his version of a hug and kiss.
Last week I had a pretty upsetting day at work and came home completely exhausted and crying. Braeya greeted me and continued her tour of the house, but I sat down and stared. Pretty soon, Kaegan sauntered into the room, came right up to me, cried once, and I picked him up. We probably sat there for ten minutes. I didn't say anything. I just sat and hugged him. And every now and then he'd look up at me, purr a little louder, and nudge me with his nose. And that's what I love about Kaegan. He's just good like that.
Last night I got a phone call from one of my friends...really out of the blue. We ended up talking for two hours - late into the night. I had some things on my mind that were confusing me and he just listened and gave good advice. And when I was most confused of all - he broke out in song. Gregorian chants, actually. Crazy, isn't it? But you know, I started giggling and couldn't stop. And this morning when I woke up (realizing just how much sleep I'd forfeited), I thought Now that is a good friend...one who will stay on the phone forever, letting you make verbal sense of your confusion and when it really gets overwhelming...he'll break into Gregorian chants.
If I can be so bold as to start my "I'm thankful for..." list a week early...these are my picks for today.
5 comments:
Bekah:
Your post made me smile as I read about your wonderful cats and their being "in tune" to your emotional needs, as such.
When I got to the part about the friend and the Gregorian chants, I laughed out loud!
Now, THAT's a friend!!!! G-d bless him!
Unless he's Malott.
In that case, G-d Bless him a LOT, cause he needs all the help he can get! :-D
Seriously, Bekah - it's amazing how G-d puts people (and pets) into our lives at the moment when we need them the most.
Friends like that are definately worth giving thanks for!
Tsofah -
I'm sure that he does NOT share your feelings about my wonderful cats, although we both know (and Christina knows too) that you're right. :)
And no, he wasn't the one who called. He and I have opposite schedules when it comes to the "good" time of day. (Although I think the end of my phone call may have clashed with the start of his day.)
I was very thankful for the call. It was unlike him to call on a weeknight, but I can't think of a night I needed it more!
Are you doing better now?
Didn't we study those chants in Music History? I loved that class! Remember the "infamous wristband sock"
Phats - I am better now. Everytime I start to get all worried, I just think abou those chants. We did study them in Music History, but trust me, these were way funnier.
I hate to admit that I don't remember the wristband sock - remind me??? Did it have to do with Shelly?
YES!!! I will email you haha :)
Post a Comment