Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bits for Sunday, November 23, 2008

I always tell Dad when he preaches that “less is more.” Today I shall take my own advice and without further ado, present to you my list of 30 random things I’m thankful for in this season of Thanksgiving.

1. Clean sheets of paper. Though I do much of my writing on my computer, I still love the beauty of an unmarked page just waiting for thoughts to flow.

2. Cooking, cooking, cooking. New recipes, old recipes, dinner for just me, or hosting a whole holiday – I love to cook. And I love to watch others enjoy the finished product.

3. Giant coffee mugs. I realize the one I filled with hot chocolate tonight is probably four times the size of the “recommended” serving muglets that came with dinnerware sets of yore – but everything tastes better in an oversized mug.

4. Lower gas prices. I don’t know how long we get to enjoy this, but it is a tremendous blessing to be able to take a trip outside a four mile radius of my home without rationing my pennies.

5. New Bibles. As I’ve heavily studied Psalm 119 over the past few weeks, I’ve delighted in filling up the wide margins of my Bible with all the things I’ve learned along the way.

6. Sales. From clothing to seasonal stuff for my house…it’s been a good couple of weeks in the sale department. What a retail rush!!

7. Fleece. Sheets, blankets, sweatshirts, whatever I can find. How ever would I stay warm, were it not for fleece?

8. New friends. The changes that have come about in my life this year have brought many new friends my way…and yet they’ve welcomed me so warmly that I feel I’ve known them forever.

9. Old friends. Of course no amount of new friends could take the place of those who have loved me all along the way…I’m thankful they’ve stayed by me and have chosen to allow me a place in their lives.

10. Stamping. Whether I’m making cards or scrapping…or just looking upon the stamp collection with warm thoughts in my heart…I’m glad I stumbled upon my first stamp in that craft store 15 or so years ago!

11. A job. Though sometimes it drives me to tears, I am very aware that to have a job is a blessing, and I do not take it for granted.

12. My elliptical machine. Speaking of things that drive me to tears…or wait. Maybe it’s just sweat. I invested in a little elliptical machine a couple of years ago, and I’m glad I did…unless you ask me within five minutes of being on it.

13. Massages. Funny how talking about the elliptical led me straight to the massage thoughts. I am not a regular recipient of massages – and perhaps that is what makes me more thankful for them when I do get the treat!

14. Blogging buddies. Jim, thank you for convincing me to join the blogging world. The friends I’ve met herehave been sweet encouragements to me – and even though I’ve never met many of you in person , I’ve learned so much.

15. Music. If you’ve driven past me, waved at me, and received no acknowledgement, don’t take it personally. I was probably singing along with someone…and having the time of my life.

16. My home. I love coming home – and I am glad others say they enjoy coming to my home. I love the memories of the years my grandparents spent here, but I also love that it’s become mine.

17. Good foundation. In our Sunday School class this morning, we talked about teachers and mentors, and I’m freshly aware of how many good people invested in me along the way to give me a good shot at life.

18. Right now. Speaking of Sunday School…last week we talked about being aware of this moment and appreciating it for what it is. The “right now” of life is good – and I’m thankful for it.

19. Free turkey. You can’t beat coming home from church to find a free turkey waiting for you on your porch! Now if only I could replicate what I saw Sandra Lee do with that butter basted turkey…

20. Books. I just rearranged my bookshelves here at home, and I love walking by and seeing all the sources of wisdom I’ve learned from over the years.

21. Words. Where there are books, there are words. I love a good word – and I love working in an office with fellow word-lovers who drop a great twenty-dollar word every now and then.

22. Leaf vacuums. My rake has officially retired, and the bag on my leaf vac has turned a lovely shade of mud after this last leaf season. But blessings upon its inventor. He or she has saved my back.

23. Church. All three of them I’ve attended throughout my life. The first gave me a great foundation. The second significantly molded me into the person I am today. And the third has been a huge blessing to me this year!

24. Sonic. Nothing really follows church well, so I’ll just keep going. We recently got a Sonic in town and it is officially my new favorite place to eat. It even (brace yourself) surpasses Burger King. (GASP!)

25. Pre-hinged trees. Last year I purchased a new Christmas tree for my bedroom. I didn’t have to sort branches and the cats couldn’t slide down one side and rip it all apart. I was hooked. All my trees from now on must be this design. Period.

26. Christmas décor. And speaking of trees – in less than a week, we’ll be in my favorite season of the entire year. Can’t wait for all the lights and sparkle!

27. Working appliances. Since this has been the year of the appliance revolt in Bekahland, I’m thankful to report that I have working appliances. My food stays cold, and my clothes wash or dry as needed.

28. Laughter. Yes, I’m usually laughing at myself and some stupid thing I say (manifesto) or do (magic marker hair color), but I’m thankful for laughter. The days are certainly much nicer when I can laugh.

29. Unknown blessings. The usher who prayed at church today thanked God for the blessings we don’t even know we have. I loved that. I’m sure I miss dozens every day. And yet He sends them anyway.

30. Thirty years. Thirty may be the new twenty, but there are many people who never get to enjoy thirty whole years of life. I was a surprise…but I’m glad I surprised the fam. It’s been a good thirty years.

8 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I LOVE number 4. For the first time in well over a year (more?), the Arco station near my house dropped down to prices starting with a "1" ($1.999)!

Chris said...

LOL! #15...hmmm...having the time of her life to music...don't know who this could be? ;)

Bekah said...

Skyepuppy - I NEVER thought I'd see the number start with 1 again. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad it's the same for you!

Chris - Hmmmm I really wouldn't know. :)

Phats said...

31- GAME NIGHTS!! :)

Phats said...

Oh btw Sonic has GREAT vanilla cokes

Bekah said...

Phats - I hear there have been some feelings of ill will toward me (in a good natured way) when people from my old church found out I play games now. I was invited to dozens of game nights there and always refused to go because I was not a game player. WOOPS!!!!!!

And I'll try the vanilla coke sometime. Now that I occasionally enjoy carbonation!! :)

Tsofah said...

Love the List Bekah!

Btw, there is no such thing as an oversized Hot Chocolate mug! (chuckle)

Bekah said...

Tsofah - YAY!!! I'm glad to know that. I won't feel guilty now when I drink out of them...every night.