French Lick has some pretty amazing golf courses, we've heard, but we don't golf, and also - it was freezing. It also has a huge casino, but we don't gamble. There are nice wineries, but we don't drink. There is a HUGE indoor water park, but somehow the idea of being surrounded by swarms of kids and probably germs on our anniversary getaway didn't really appeal to us. There's a big ski resort a few miles away, but it doesn't open until mid-December, so we just missed out on that. {Big sigh of relief from me and a big sigh of disappointment from Ryan.} There's also a big lake and some trails nearby, but again - December.
All that to say, our advice to you on planning your own visit to this fair city {when not under the confines of immovable dates like anniversaries} is to pay attention to the time of year you go, and you might get to participate in more than we did!
Even so, we had enough to keep us busy for two days, and part of "keeping busy" included rest, which we both sorely needed.
Saturday morning was a sleep-in-and-take-the-morning-to-be-lazy kind of day. I love that so much about a vacation. That was one of the best parts of our honeymoon, too. We didn't have so many things planned that we couldn't just relax a bunch.
When we finally did get out and about, we drove to the next town over, Paoli, which is the home of the ski resort that wasn't yet open. What was open was a little local BBQ joint, and Ryan does love local BBQ, so we stopped for lunch!
After lunch, we walked around the town square of Paoli, which I'll tell you more about in the county date post. Their town square is actually a roundabout {which I am fundamentally opposed to, but it makes for pretty architecture}.
Then we went back to French Lick in search of a Christmas ornament to commemorate our trip! This was only SLIGHTLY easier to find than the bakery. Walking back through the hotels again, seeing more of their Christmas decor, and checking out the shops was a lot of fun!
And then we went for an afternoon coffee date, and while there, Ryan tried to teach me how to play Checkers. It went like this:
After dark {which, you know, currently happens about 5 pm}, we went back through downtown to get some pictures of the pretty light displays, and we grabbed dinner to go at Subway. We took it back to our hotel and ate while we watched movies!
The next morning, we packed up to come home...but we enjoyed our stay in French Lick!
4 comments:
I cannot believe you hadn't played checkers before!!
Isn't the natural wonder of the area hot springs? Was there a way to access/ see them?
Tamar - I know, right? I think I played them as a very little kid with my grandpa, but that was obviously a few years ago and I remembered none of it.
Maria -Yes! Springs were the "miracle" of the time. We were able to see where some of them were, but most {if not all - it's early and my brain is foggy - have been filled in now, so you can't actually go into them anymore.
The food pics made me hungry. Loved playing checkers with my dad when I was little.
Post a Comment