Sunday, December 07, 2014

The Shafferland Shuffle

* Last Sunday morning, we set out on our mini-getaway for anniversary #2!! We headed north toward Chicago, stopping just outside in the little burg of Willowbrook for lunch at Dell Rhea's, which we learned about on the Duggar show. GOOD chicken! We continued to Schaumburg, which was our home for the duration, and then that evening, we drove right to the heart of Chicago, to Lincoln Park Zoo, to tour the Zoo Lights...even got to witness a proposal! Minus a frustrating end to the day {always has to be some drama...} it was a GREAT start to a getaway!
* Monday morning, we slept in a little and then we set out on our next great adventure: IKEA, baby!! We had never been to IKEA before, and we were so excited. We went in with a completely open mind and were absolutely in love before we even got out of the first floor. We fell most in love with a couch that we have ever intention of purchasing if and when our house in Greentown ever sells. We also enjoyed eating lunch there in the store - and the free coffee in the afternoon. Let's move into IKEA!!!

* Tuesday was our actual anniversary, and it was a lovely day. We took the train into Chicago and went up to the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower to check out the observation deck, and then we trekked up and down the Magnificent Mile in the freezing cold. Did photo opps with the Bean and then we ended up at Ryan's surprise for me...dinner on the 95th floor at the Signature Room. GORGEOUS views - and so many surprises for me!!

* We left Chicago to come home on Wednesday - BOOOOOO - via a Christmas tree farm in DeMotte, Indiana, where we picked out our newest tree. We named her Penelope! We came home to find sparkling grape juice waiting on us, courtesy of our house-and-Braeya-sitters, and we enjoyed decorating Penelope and getting unpacked after our trip!

* Thursday was back-to-work day for both of us - and a busy day it was at our jobs!! I had a lot to catch up on, though Lynne did a marvelous job of keeping up on everything while I was gone. When we got home, we worked on a craft project, which Braeya insisted upon helping with. :) And we had our sparkling grape juice date. A good night at home after a week away!!

* Friday was Jim Barron's birthday, and he brought some of the tastiest cucpcakes to work! They did crack me up though, because I thought they looked a little like they had chives on top. Nope! Just green chocolate curls!!  Our Friday night was a little bit crazy...we had to scurry to get our Christmas cards addressed!! I was so thankful Ryan was willing to help with that project, because I would STILL be working on it if it weren't for him!!

* Ryan worked Saturday morning, and we did something we NEVER do - we overslept! He turned his alarm off and apparently mine had never been turned back on from the vacation weekend before. WHOOPSIE! Fortunately, unlike me, he naturally wakes up early, so he didn't end up late to work. As soon as he got home, we headed to Fort Wayne so I could work the Gaither Christmas concert. Even got to go on stage with Phil to make announcements for the station. Scared me out of my skull, but  it was still a fun night!!!



3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yay IKEA!!! Love it!!! It's a good think it's a 30 minute drive for me or I would go for fun, weekly!

Bekah said...

I'm pretty sure if we had one within 30 minutes, I'd never see Ryan again. This one was 3 1/2 hours away, though we did uncover the news that there is one in Ohio only 2 1/2 hours away!

Natasha said...

I LOVE IKEA! Dave and I had a blast at IKEA one day shortly after we became housemates, before we started dating. I just have such fond memories of that place.

And I'm excited to get our Christmas cards tonight and to start addressing them! Whoo hoo!!!